E: Engine For Corking Out Loud

Jim Bush

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Whilst working at line reaming the kick start shaft bushings, my reamer pushed a wine cork out the primary side of the cross over shaft, didn't expect to find that.

20220306_210917.jpg

i knew these bikes were "vintage" but I can't tell what year... cork is baked hard, oily and a sloppy fit...

Explains why my rightside kick start cover always leaked oil

Black Flash

VOC Member
You should only use corks from "Black Lightning Exhaust Port" distributed at the 1983 Victorian leg of the International Rally, No others will do the job. I have half a dozen, £273 each, just the cork, postage and insurance extra.
I still have 2 bottles of transmission whine, that are definitely better suited for the primary drive side.
You got two options, one is for a super rare red Rapide, one for lightningized Rapide.
Dare I say only 499. - euros each including postage.

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_105455_compress3.jpg
    IMG_20220307_105455_compress3.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 17

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jim I despair for you and you future with Vincent. If you just would have asked I could have leant you a 3/4 - 20 tap (think the thread on the axle nuts and battery tray nuts and 1/2 time pinion nut, so as not to introduce some bastard size on that poor neglected steed.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jim I despair for you and you future with Vincent. If you just would have asked I could have leant you a 3/4 - 20 tap (think the thread on the axle nuts and battery tray nuts and 1/2 time pinion nut, so as not to introduce some bastard size on that poor neglected steed.
Not sure if the thread police will ever want to remove the bung to verify....... for the record... 3/4" x 20TPI is in there......LOL

I have made it an effort to stick with original threads - over last four years have removed a number of "Robertson" head, UNC. UNF, Metric fasteners along with 2 wire nuts (for house wiring) from the aforementioned steed.

clevtrev

VOC Member
You should only use corks from "Black Lightning Exhaust Port" distributed at the 1983 Victorian leg of the International Rally, No others will do the job. I have half a dozen, £273 each, just the cork, postage and insurance extra.
I know all about those, as it was John Phillip and I who bottled and corked them at Chris Woods house.
No labels only printed bottles.

Attachments

• DSCF0801.JPG
    DSCF0801.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 16