Foot Shifter won't engage the gears

aaronabutt

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello to all Technical enthusiasts
I have noticed this problem after finally getting my 49' Rapide started, after over 20 years of storage. When I hoped on for a little scoot, I found that the shifter wouldn't engage the gears out of 1st, and I had to use the 'gear indicator '(knurled pointer indicating the numbers that are stamped into the tranny case) to shift the transmission into a higher gear. This 'gear indicator pointer' is able to shift the tranny through the gears so I'm hoping it is not a big issue. Can someone tell me what I need and how to start. I can't seem to find the information I need in my K.T.B. book?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated, as I am far away from anyone who has a clue about how to fix these bikes, and hope to do the work myself. Any special tools needed, please mention these as well as torque numbers if needed

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello to all Technical enthusiasts
I have noticed this problem after finally getting my 49' Rapide started, after over 20 years of storage. When I hoped on for a little scoot, I found that the shifter wouldn't engage the gears out of 1st, and I had to use the 'gear indicator '(knurled pointer indicating the numbers that are stamped into the tranny case) to shift the transmission into a higher gear. This 'gear indicator pointer' is able to shift the tranny through the gears so I'm hoping it is not a big issue. Can someone tell me what I need and how to start. I can't seem to find the information I need in my K.T.B. book?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated, as I am far away from anyone who has a clue about how to fix these bikes, and hope to do the work myself. Any special tools needed, please mention these as well as torque numbers if needed
As you can get the gears using the indicator your problem probably lies with the positive stop mechanism that you will find under the gear cover (Right hand side).
You can remove the gear cover without any special tools. There is a sequence to adjust the mechanism. You will find pictures and the instructions in Richardson.
You should also check the return springs, G64 & G70. You can find an exploded parts drawing of the gearchange mechanism on sheet M003.
If you don't have the parts book you can find it online at: http://www.voc.uk.com/sparesdraw.php
or: http://coventryvoc.co.uk/parts_list_drawings/m003.htm