HB: Handlebars Fly screen

Dcollings2001

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, I'm looking to fit a fly screen to my rapide, i'm not looking at the modern ones that you seen on modern Royal Enfield Interceptors and Bonevilles but much more like the Royal Enfield 250 Continental GT of the 1960s. It has a black shadow clock and was jsut wondering if anyone had any insight on how best to mount one as I cant find any pictures other than a video of a comet with one i've seen on Youtube that isn't clear on how it fits.

kind regards,

David

here is the link -

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here is the one on our racer supported by the front bolts of the handlebar clamps
It is in fact an old helmet visor
its not there for show its to reduce prone wind drag when we get over 110 it makes a big difference we may fit a bigger or more raked one next season
1700656432067.png

teunvandriel

VOC Member
Years ago, I was inspired by those pictures of those racers with such a flyscreen on Montlery, I couldn't imagine that such a mosquito screen also stopped driving wind, made such a thing myself from stainless pipe (10 mm) and strip, and lo and behold, it worked. See the pictures

1700675209042.jpeg

1700675417881.jpeg

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Hi - this screen is a RE 250 GT part with mountings cobbled together from an Yamaha Virago, though I keep this last part highly confidential. Think I chopped the lower mountings so the screen is mounted on the bars via two short uprights. David L

Attachments

• The B Rapide - perhaps 'the purest expression of their genius'.jpg
    The B Rapide - perhaps 'the purest expression of their genius'.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 60

flxible

VOC Member
HI David-
This is the handlebar mounting I came up with for installing the fly screen on my '56 R69, think I used a couple of old mirror mounts.
Best-
George
IMG_3868 (1).jpg

andrew peters

VOC Member
just put this little flyscreen on my Rapide... almost bolted straight on! I had to 'adjust' the radius to fit the headlamp but even the supplied mounting brackets lined up with very minor tweaking! I rarely recommend anything made in China or available on Amazon but this screen was very cheap and good enough to try out.. if it's successful maybe I'll make something better with better materials etc.. This screen looks ok to me though, it looks like it was made for the bike!
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Dcollings2001

Forum User
VOC Member
just put this little flyscreen on my Rapide... almost bolted straight on! I had to 'adjust' the radius to fit the headlamp but even the supplied mounting brackets lined up with very minor tweaking! I rarely recommend anything made in China or available on Amazon but this screen was very cheap and good enough to try out.. if it's successful maybe I'll make something better with better materials etc.. This screen looks ok to me though, it looks like it was made for the bike!
GetAttachmentThumbnail
Hi, thanks that looks great. Do you know what size your headlight is?

Kind regards,

David

andrew peters

VOC Member
Hi, thanks that looks great. Do you know what size your headlight is?

Kind regards,

David
measures 7"... the lower radius of the flyscreen had to be opened out a little but that was easy with a sanding disc on a 5" grinder, just be careful not to get too much heat into the plastic