PT: Exhaust Flaring Tool

Bowsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All, I have a Rapide exhaust where the front exhaust hasn’t been flared. Is there a tool for this? If not, I’m guessing it’s a trip to a welder? Cheers Paul

vibrac

VOC Member
Tap tap tap with the small hammer and a gas tourch
I did that for years
Then I gott a lathe and made a split collar now I can do it faster
You don't want or need a big flange

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
As we have just lost Jack Furness this post is pertinent, years ago whilst visiting Furness & Searle, Jack flanged an exhaust pipe for me, the method used was a large bench vice, a heavy steel split collar just the right size to grip the pipe but not distort it, with just enough pipe protruding to give the correct dimension of narrow flange, not so much tap tap tap, more bash bash bash until the flange was created and then more bashing to create a nice flat surface on the face of the flange and at a perfect right angle to the pipe, release from the vice and just touch up outer radius of the flange to a perfect even circle, a perfect job, done in a minute or two, poetry in motion, happy days, I would imagine that Bob Culver is still using the same tools and exercising the same level of skill and expertise.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sometimes it is best to see how the pipe sits, You may be better to do it at a bit of an angle to get everything to line up nice. Cheers Bill.

nkt267

VOC Member
Yes, the end of the pipe is not always square. I loose fit the pipe and silencer with the exhaust nut in the head and mark a line, with masking tape, around the pipe. This gives me some idea of where to line up the swaging tool i made.John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
There are some funny pipes out there !, I was offered a very cheap pair, That nobody could fit, I could not let that lovely chrome to not to be used !, So I brazed short stubs in the nuts and put silencer clamps on there,
Bit of a bodge !, But I am happy. Cheers Bill.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have a clamp which has been used to successfully flange pipes in the past. Did it recently on new pipes for the Shadow and even though at 90 degrees the pipe didn't sit correct in the head to seal. So I removed the flange, turned up a thin walled collar with the flange already a part of. The collar was a push fit into the ex pipe for approx 1/2". Mounted the pipes on the bike where they needed to be and let everything settle into position. Then carefully removed the pipes without disturbing the collar and then welded it in place. Seals perfectly to the head and the pipes are easy to remove and fit.

Last edited: