Finding First Vincent Advice

Ben Langton

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello All,
My name is Ben, I joined a couple of weeks ago and keen to find a V Twin project. (Was going to post a wanted but cloggers cornergone?). I've been lucky enough over the past couple of years to see a fellow Cornish members beautiful bikes (Marcus).
I stopped by and introduced myself to the chaps at the Bristol bike show the other day and asked but sadly no leads.
I've been looking for a year/18 months for a project bike I can afford. I'm young and keen to work but need the bike to work on. Rough and worn is really what I'm after, paint bones, chrome rusted, seat torn, rubbers split...don't mind, original as possible would be good though. As long as I can get it going and ride it for events I'd be very happy.
Can anyone point me in the direction of something, anything, possibilities.
Many Thanks
B

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ah Ben:confused: unless fortune smiles on you your 30 years too late for a barn find, better to go for one thats been loved and modified but has non matching numbers to keep the collectors away and non standard to keep the rivet counters away then you can ride it not hide it
I have seen two magic bikes like that go in the last few years one belonged to Eddie Stevens and one was Alf Loyds (No, 3 if I include the NEW Black shadow from the VOCSC that sold for less than a second hand rapide at same sale, mind you in the end that also got stuck in a museum what a shame) Ring up Vincent Spares they may have just such a machine at least you will get the real skinny

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ben, Put an add in MPH something will come up........Still plenty of unrestored machines kicking around that still go for reasonable dollars. There are members who will sell to a young enthusiast for less than top dollar, I remember a bloke over here who ended up with two machines at good prices, pity he turned out to be less genuine than the machines he bought...................Good luck.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Ben my handsome, your doing the right thing,my father use to say, "don't be backwards in coming forwards". Vibrac's advice is spot on, riding you Comet you will pick up more leads than advertising but keep asking. After all, all the components to build Raps, Shadows & Lightnings are Identical, Shadows were built from rejected Rapide cases so don't go for a black one, paint your own black if you like the look of it, personally I like clean metal as I have an aversion to paint. Sorry I missed you at Shepton Christine noticed you had signed in. I was picking up steel and seeing the Chain man.

Ben Langton

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the advise all. I'll keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for something. I'd certainly ride it (as Marcus knows) it would be great to take my wife out and our boys when they are a little older (2 and 4 and growing fast).

I've put an add into MPH (good thought Greg)
I also put a bit in the book when I signed in at the show.
You may have noticed Marcus? You may spot something on your travels, safe riding, hope to hear all about it on your return.

I'll keep searching, please keep me in mind and any further advice, ideas great fully received.

B

yorchie

VOC Member
A 'basket case' Vincent is not the same as a Triumph/has/Norton etc... In USA there is a term called "nickel and diming". Is there a UK version.? "Farthing and Mike pencing' ? The beauty of Vincent is the club and the Spares company and most all parts are available.

I am sure there are voc members who have been working on a project vinnie for 20 years plus.... Axiom: buy the best one that you can afford. Or like me "I did not pay too much... I just bought too early."

You hear the stories about members buying their bikes for £500 back in the day - but that was probably a lot of cash for an old motorcycle when a person was making apprentice wages or just started working.

G

Graham Smith

Hi Ben. I've seen you've put a couple of ads in the March edition of MPH saying that you're looking for something.

Whilst I can't give you prior notice of what's coming up in MPH, I occasionally hear of bikes outside of MPH that need work, and if I do, I'll give you a shout.

vibrac

VOC Member
You hear the stories about members buying their bikes for £500 back in the day - but that was probably a lot of cash for an old motorcycle when a person was making apprentice wages or just started working.
well I was earning about £30 a week when I bought my rapide for £60...

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I would also suggest getting involved with the social side of the club, if people get to know and trust you, they are more likely to offer you the project they are never going to finish.
Most folk would like to see their bikes stay as riders within the club.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I paid £145 for my first Rapide in 1958 when my wage was six pounds three shillings (remember those?) a week and I was living in lodgings 220 miles from where I was brought up. And yes, it was bought on hire purchase.