FT: Frame (Twin) FF35 Felt Washer - Why????

twobyfour

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have fitted a JE/NW steering head kit to my recently acquired Rapide. I bought a new FF35 felt washer to replace the very narrow section o-ring (which did not seem to be serving any purpose because there was a gap around it) fitted by the previous owner.
There's not a chance of adjusting the steering head bearings with the FF35 in place, without the steering head virtually seizing-up. The felt washer is much too thick for the space available and too dense to compress easily and still allow free movement of the bearings.

Searching through the forum, I find several references to how a new FF35 takes time to wear-in/compress and also several comments about the steering feeling like the steering damper was overtightened, causing a barrel-roll effect. Great!

There is also mention of substituting the FF35 with an o-ring - I wish I knew that beforehand.....

I've no intention of stripping everything down again, so I'll try to slice the FF35 in two around the circumference whilst in-situ and remove half of it to see if that works. Failing that, it's coming out altogether. I may then try to fit a spliced o-ring, as some have mentioned, but can anyone please tell me why the FF35 even exists? I've had lots of old British bikes with loose-ball steering heads. Not one had a seal of any kind on the bottom race.

Also, given that it seems to be common knowledge that the FF35 causes problems, why on earth is it still being made and sold? I assume that the only people buying them are new owners like me who have not encountered this problem, or, perhaps, rivet-counters whose bikes are never ridden. If that's the case, the suppliers should add a warning on the product details!

I'm sorry if I sound tetchy. The FF35 costs hardly anything, but it creates problems and unnecessary work and it would seem to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Allan.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Allan, this is a well known problem. The current FF35s are much too thick. Most people cut them in half before fitting them. I will change the fitting instructions to emphasise that. I did find an X seal some years ago which will do this job but I then found out that the gap one is trying to fit is not the same on all bikes. I do not know what causes the differences.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
A new FF35 certainly gives an interesting ride. I forced the steel spout of an oil can into mine at several points around the circumference and injected it with oil. Magical transformation with no need for dis-assembly or butchery.

twobyfour

VOC Member
Hi Allan, this is a well known problem. The current FF35s are much too thick. Most people cut them in half before fitting them. I will change the fitting instructions to emphasise that. I did find an X seal some years ago which will do this job but I then found out that the gap one is trying to fit is not the same on all bikes. I do not know what causes the differences.
Thanks, Norman,
That would save some head scratching. I realise that it is no reflection on your steering stem kit, since the original stem wouldn't have fitted properly with a new FF35 either.

Last edited:

twobyfour

VOC Member
A new FF35 certainly gives an interesting ride. I forced the steel spout of an oil can into mine at several points around the circumference and injected it with oil. Magical transformation with no need for dis-assembly or butchery.
Thanks, Peter,
I'll try that before I resort to the scalpel.
But dont forget the FF36 that is not optional
Yes, I fitted one of those, thank you.

oexing

VOC Member
As said above, no felt "seals" found on most other bikes, difficult to fit AND work on individual bikes. So best not to have them. Just get some sticky grease and fill lots of it in the bearings, so this will be an effective seal to keep water and dirt out - well. maybe not in Australia.
When too worried about protection, you could do a water excluder from alu, sort of cup under the bottom inner race, reaching up into the head lug with overlap. So no friction from this and reliable protection.

Vic

twobyfour

VOC Member
As said above, no felt "seals" found on most other bikes, difficult to fit AND work on individual bikes. So best not to have them. Just get some sticky grease and fill lots of it in the bearings, so this will be an effective seal to keep water and dirt out - well. maybe not in Australia.
When too worried about protection, you could do a water excluder from alu, sort of cup under the bottom inner race, reaching up into the head lug with overlap. So no friction from this and reliable protection.

Vic
Thanks, Vic,
I'm glad that it's not just me who has a problem with the idea of felt seals. As you suggest, plenty of grease works on other bikes, so it should on a Vincent. Nice idea about an alloy cup - maybe for the next time I strip the front end down! I'll try Pete's suggestion of oil on the seal first.
Water pump grease works if you can stand the smell!
Yes, you're right. I recently stripped a pair of Ariel forks that had been liberally filled with the stuff. Very sticky and very smelly!

Allan.