Engine numbers

Terry Paxton

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Folks, after 40 years of ownership I only today noticed some much smaller stampings under the engine number of my 51 Comet. "BMH" is stamped upside down on the crankcase under the engine number. Anyone able to enlighten me a to what this is about? Many thanks in advance

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It possibly refers to foundry date code used by John Dale's. In which case the casting was made on 8th December 1949. It could also be a private stamping by a mechanic any time in the last 70-odd years, although Hillgate Motors, for example, usually decorated "right way up". Another possibility is an inspection stamp. These often appeared in a small circle.

Terry Paxton

Forum User
VOC Member
It possibly refers to foundry date code used by John Dale's. In which case the casting was made on 8th December 1949. It could also be a private stamping by a mechanic any time in the last 70-odd years, although Hillgate Motors, for example, usually decorated "right way up". Another possibility is an inspection stamp. These often appeared in a small circle.
Thanks for that info

Terry Paxton

Forum User
VOC Member

This is the number as it appears upside down under the engine number

Attachments

• Comet number.jpg
    Comet number.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 52

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
First letter is an "E", so 11th December 1949. Last digit means furnace no. 1. The stampings can occur in lots of different places, but this looks original to me.

Alyson

VOC Member
I found the same font on my primary cover near the dyno of my '52 Rapide. WFJ1 which I've interpreted as 27 June '51 which works.