E: Engine Elephants Trunk Breathers

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone still make the Elephants trunk breathers??

My recently purchased Rapide came with a home made unit which needs major work to make it usable.

Cheers
Neil

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Does anyone still make the Elephants trunk breathers??

My recently purchased Rapide came with a home made unit which needs major work to make it usable.

Cheers
Neil
Why not scrap the Elephant completly and fit a correctly set up timed breather as intended by the designers? The bike will look a lot 'cleaner' and the breather will actually work. Remember no breather can do its job if you have excessive crankcase pressure caused by pistion ring blow by.

The attached photo shows the 'output' after over 500 miles of brisk riding, of the timed breather on my oil tight Comet; that discharges into a recycled plastic drink bottle. It is less than 10 ml of emulsion.

Martyn

Breather.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
I feel after all this talk of breathers that the original timed breather is designed to work off a very short length of pipe, be it steel or flexible, the longer the pipe the more resistance there is to exhaust properly. The original breather was short and exited to the ground (or the chain on a single) but this does tend to make a mess. When these bikes were new most all machinery dribbled oil on the ground to some extent, but this seems foreign these days, and in a world of mostly "Oil tight" machines. Certainly after atmospheric breathers became near extinct, the norm was to run a PCV system, where the circuit had some kind of high mounted vent pipe that draws clean air through the air cleaner into the engine, then the PCV valve mounted in an area where oil does not get flung at it, has a suction line plumbed to the vacuum side of the inlet manifold. So Martyn's idea looks good, and saves a mess........Though a crankcase vacuum system would be best, and this helps to minimize oil leaks as well. Don't forget too that on a standard engine, the cases also vent via the drive side main bearings through the generator housing in the top end of the primary. That's why if your primary oil level keeps rising after a couple of hundred miles, that oil will eventually get the better of the slinger mounted just inboard of the genny drive sprocket and leak past the generator. Some go to the trouble of sealing this area with sealant, but what are you really trying to achieve, the generator housing and end bearing wont stop the ingress of oil, which ends up all over the armature and commutator............;)