Electric Vehicles (I Don’t Think So)

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Ron, As if I needed more confusion in my life, shall I, shan't I. Will we see tomorrow, if your battery does not run out!
The meeting has been rescheduled for Thursday Peter, we are just about to send everyone an email.
The Legion have an event on Wednesday and Barbara thinks it will be bedlam hence the change to Thursday.

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well the usual gamut of thieving swine have figured out that there is loads of copper wire to be found in the chargers in public places and have begun targeting them. So it won't be long before this scum figure that those who have to use the chargers are easy targets as well. Not like they can gas up and go. How is this all going to effect the hospitality industry? Don't count on free charging for guests. They'll get that back by upping the rates. Or will there be an automatic surcharge on the bill? That will tick off those who rely on taxis or Uber.
I suspect this is all because the Overlords of Davos have decided that hoi polloi have gotten above themselves. Mustn't use up the WEF's precious JP-1A nor get in their way as they fly private all over the world doing important things like telling everyone how to live and what to eat. Oh and try and prevent those evil bovine from burping and farting.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I watched a nice new prototype hydrogen bus being demonstrated,following the launch it proceeded to burn to itself to the ground, it was very impressive and created quite a show.
Not much of a footprint left at the end, you could have swept what was left into a bin bag.
Impressive energy transfer indeed.
I believe transport London Transport has some of them now.

G

Graham Smith

We have a Plug In Hybrid and it does about 30 miles on electric from the grid. After that the engine comes on and powers the motors - there's no mechanical link between the wheels and the engine.

I like having the flexibility of being able to do the local running about solely on electric, whilst still being able to use the car for long distances when we need to.

timetraveller

VOC Member
After last Xmas I drove back home to East Sussex from my sister's place just outside Scarborough, 320 miles. It was cold and dark so lights and heater needed. Nine and a half hours including a 20 mile traffic jam near Leicester which took an hour to clear and then another one further south where the M1 was totally closed due to an accident and all traffic diverted through Northampton. It was bad enough in a diesel car but would have been much worse/impossible in an electric car. The infra structure is not there and there is no sign of it being ready any time soon. I heard a conservative loyalist politician on the radio a couple of days ago saying that Boris Johnson has left a trail of slime all over Westminster. Perhaps it is time for the development of an engine which runs on slime.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is something else the EV adverts don't tell you in the tiny text at the bottom of the screen that tell you what lies are told above (assuming you freeze the frame so you can read the weasel words)
I went to get a new tyre for a new wheel so I could drive my car (Diesel) with a spare rather than a tube of gloop or some stupid emergency 40 MPH wheel
I said as I waited "Do they have special tyres for EV cars?"
"Yes", he said "They last about 7000 miles because of the weight AND they have to be the manufacturers recommended tyre you cannot chose the make you want, and they cost an arm and a leg, guy came in with a n EV 4X4 last week cost him over a grand."

I dont see that costed in to running estimates......

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Our electric Mercedes is the best thing since sliced bread ! Over 280 miles on a single charge, quiet, effortless and responsive.
The incident Bill refers to was due to jack knifed diesel trucks and inexperienced motorists. We were able to keep the heater on
the whole time we were stuck in the traffic jam without polluting the atmosphere.
On a cold and frosty morning we can programme the car to defrost itself and be warm ready for us to safely drive away, not peering through a hastily scraped hole in a frozen screen.
My next car will definitely be an electric Mercedes. Don't listen to negative comments, try one first you will be surprised !
I think I might have been a little hasty with my condemnation of electric cars, specifically Mercedes Benz electric cars, and it would appear that Which Consumer Magazine agree with Ron Thomas, it is indeed the best thing since sliced bread (but that does pose the question, does anyone still enjoy Sunblessed Bread) I was particularly taken with Mercedes EQS, which has a range of 360 miles, so only a couple of hundred miles less than my full tank of diesel, incredible luxury, and a snip of a starting price at £102,160.00, perhaps I might sell my Shadow after all!

IMG_5664.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I Thought the other way, There will be no engine makers,
Fuel injection , Exhaust , I could go on ?.
They are just destroying everything,
I went for a car MOT last year and That part of the trading estate was a Ghost Town,
Small repair shops are being taxed so high,
They have not a clue.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Our electric Mercedes is the best thing since sliced bread ! Over 280 miles on a single charge, quiet, effortless and responsive.
The incident Bill refers to was due to jack knifed diesel trucks and inexperienced motorists. We were able to keep the heater on
the whole time we were stuck in the traffic jam without polluting the atmosphere.
On a cold and frosty morning we can programme the car to defrost itself and be warm ready for us to safely drive away, not peering through a hastily scraped hole in a frozen screen.
My next car will definitely be an electric Mercedes. Don't listen to negative comments, try one first you will be surprised !
That German thing might be smooth and quiet on the M roads where you live, but here, in North Wales, you'll need a proper British car that will handle the rough stuff and go around corners properly, our (2nd) Jaguar I Pace is the answer to that. Hail Britania, Britania Rules the Twistys! The "right now" available max HP and Torque is amazing. Gotta' love the quality that Jaguar and Mercedes have put into these cars. They're not the fastest, or have the longest ranges, but they are the top two in quality electric cars. And isn't it fun playing with those silly, antiquated petrol supercars?

Last edited: