Misc: Electric Starters Electric Starter

bodlan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a 'Walkernator' fitted to my Comet and am considering one of the new electric starter kits from the Spares Company.
The photo of the kit recently posted would indicate that the starter might not quite fit when using the 'Walkernator'. Has anyone fitted both these modifications yet?

vibrac

VOC Member
I have an electric start and I did have a walkernator unfortunately not at the same time! my guess is it would be a close fit but could be done I just did a snap of the location. you can check with your walknator I think your walkernator tensioner uses the position my dinky horn is using but its a year or two so since I had one. The starter is directly under the horn

1650016550155.png

b'knighted

VOC Member
I have an unfinished installation. What I did was to modify the steel dynamo clamp strap (supplied with the starter kit) to replace the Walkernator clamp. The bike is still on the bench as a very long duration house move is in progress. I have a vague recollection that the back had to be cut off the alloy clamp and the new steel band had to be bent to strap over the alloy clamp and pull down with the nut on the front stud. I’ll try to look at again when I’m next there.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Here is a picture of one of the clamps which both holds down the dynamo replacement and acts as a pivot for the alternator. On Comets the two ears which act as the pivot for the alternator are to the front of the bike. You will see that the front lower edge of this is left as machined and there is normally no good reason to remove it but if it protrudes down far enough to foul part of the starter then there is nothing to stop the front lower edge being machined off. It could be either chamfered of just reduced in height by six to eight mm as it is 14 mm thick
1650031879381.jpeg

b'knighted

VOC Member
I made a vertical cut removing the section in front of the round clamp. This permitted me to use the steel strap supplied with the starter. This had a right angled bend to bolt flat to the crankcase and was the right length to go over the Walkernator clamp to the rear stud under the alternator pivot. As I recall getting the height of the tightened nut and the end of the stud exactly right to clear the pivot took a lot of trial and error.