T: Fuel Tank Early Series 'B' Fuel Tank

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
74E33191-C3E3-4374-A4F3-9ED3A2D0524C.jpeg

Hello Team,
In the book “original Vincent“ by our Jacqueline Bickerstaff there is mention and photos of the very early fuel tanks. These are fair bit different than the standard mass produced tank. I have one that is either from engine 21 or 9, it’s been a bear cat to get fixed and fitting right.
My question to those who think they might have one is this, Do you or have you had to bend the oil rocker feed on the rear head to miss the fuel tap? It’s a very tight fit and the standard off the shelf oil feed line definitely does not fit. I have seen photos from engine #25 and it’s rocker feed pipes are curved in shape to miss the fuel tap and not straight like most bikes.
I would love to see photos of any other early bikes tank and that area of figment.
thnx
Gene.

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
There are a few photos on "thevincent.com" -Early Rapides, the first 500. They might help you. Another point; my first Comet had an early "B" tank, without the rear bracing tabs. I was riding along blithely when I had a most challenging sensation in the Ghoolies, so fit the tabs!

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Gene,

Given the fact that you are posting here, you must have survived all of the weather events down there.

I assume this is the early B oil line in question. I’ve purchased several new oil lines and have had to reshape most of them. There is a third version, but it’s on the bike and it looks as though the angle is the same as the bronze one in the photo, just machined differently on top. My B tank isn’t that early and isn’t on the bike at the moment, so can’t comment on clearance between the fitting and tap.

C2633E13-5BDA-4E8A-836F-333380EAC2E8.jpeg
3D1FA597-B443-4294-A2F0-D2922205482C.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Furness and Searle (ex Vincent factory workers) used to manufacture all the oil and fuel pipes and parts, when they retired Bob Culver took over that work, and I believe he was well taught and did a good job, meaning they fitted well etc. he also continued manufacturing exhaust pipes on the old factory machinery, among many other components, but for some reason or other Bob ceased to supply the Club with the parts that he manufactured, but you could purchase them from Andy Davenport, but his website has been down for a long time now, with no indication when or if it will be live again. I have no idea who else is supplying this stuff now, but the one in your post looks to be way off.

Cyborg

VOC Member
The main feed and return lines that attach to the oil pump are a bit of a pain. They take some brutalizing to get them to fit correctly. I just bought a new feed and return line for the current project and whatever they plated them with has a blue hue which I could do without. Reshaping the pipes might sound like a simple task, but not necessarily so. If I had my wits about me, I would have purchased them and bent them into place prior to painting the cases.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Gene,
Initially I thought it was the cast fitting that you were referring to and then I looked at your photo again. I slipped the tank back in place…. Actually slipped is probably the wrong word. That small cutout for the front carb makes things interesting. Anyway…. my tap clears the line, but not much room to spare. I can pull the tank back off and take a photo of the line if that helps. Actually that exercise just added a few things to my todo list. Discovered a few things touching where they shouldn’t be. There must be a trick to removing and installing tanks that I’m not aware of.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Well…. those 3 photos suggest that fuel tap location is another variable. Mine is an original B tank. It does have the goulie tabs, but no way to tell if they are original or added on at a later date. The line that comes out of my tap (and I think the line is NOS) actually comes in contact with the intake inspection cap. So my tap is in a different location and angle than those 3 in the photos.

Last edited:

LoneStar

VOC Member
Pic of my Series B tank - it's early, lacking the rear tabs, though perhaps not one of the different, very early ones you mention. Also a shot of the oil line I'm using, which doesn't conflict with the petcock; not sure of its origin, as the bike is being assembled from unrelated parts.

20220507_192014.jpg

20221201_220022.jpg