ET: Engine (Twin) Dynamo Fitting

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Plus remember that the Chinamo is bigger that a Miller or Lucas so also an Alton, so the correct ET202 3 1/2 to 3 in adaptor will be required.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
When I installed the Alton, the PD32 wasn't needed and didn't allow the sprocket far enough to the left.

Edit: Change PD28 to PD32

Last edited:

john998

VOC Member
Hello Bruce, the instructions with my Alton definitely say to use PD28 oil thrower. On my machine it all lines OK, just the gap is the problem.
I think you oil leak may be because of no PD28.
John

john998

VOC Member
Hello Robert, This engine has the later double clamp and no ET202. Have made an adaptor sleeve to bring the clamps down to 3" from 80mm as it was for the Chinamo. My problem is the gap as per the photo.
John.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Hello Bruce, the instructions with my Alton definitely say to use PD28 oil thrower. On my machine it all lines OK, just the gap is the problem.
I think you oil leak may be because of no PD28.
John
Ooops, I meant the D spacer piece, not the slinger, which I did use.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I think that sealing this Alton will be a bigger challenge than for my 1999 version. The opening at the backside of the crankcase (see drawing from KTB) extends past the cradle and Alton OD (see photo). The Alton end is shown in green and the gap is at the blue circle. On my bike, the casting follows the yellow line. Anyway, it will take some thinking to seal the gap.

Crankcase.jpeg
Cradle Photo.jpeg

oexing

VOC Member
When you are going to set up the case on the mill, you could face the shoulder on primary inside where your oil ring seats. On this face you can have a v-ring sealing quite well. The effect is like an oil slinger but with a contact on the alu face - no problem. The sealing lip is very soft and great when you cannot have concentric bores with o-rings or other seals in there for radial sealing lips. When having axial sealing lip like with v-rings it does not matter if there is some offset as long as the lip keeps within the milled face. Just you have to provide a bit of step on the rear of sprocket to pull the all-NBR rubber onto this for spinning with the sprocket and light axial contact on that face behind the sprocket. See in photo below one v-ring loosely on sprocket, one on the bench.

Vic

P1090517.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
In the photo below you see that face around the end of the servo motor stuck in from behind. I don´t use v-rings in my 2 B-Rap engines as I have machined the cradle concentric to the dynamo bore and the servos got o-rings on their extension with another ball bearing in them.

Vic
P1060955.JPG

P1070081.JPG

P1060962.JPG

john998

VOC Member
Hello Bruce, The picture with the drill bit shows you crankcase to be the same as mine. It is hard to understand how Miller or Chinamo ever sealed , perhaps it doesn't matter? Next job is removing sidecar so I can work on it in relative comfort. John.

john998

VOC Member
Hello Vic, thanks for that, it looks like the best answer.
If the motor ever comes to pieces it is the way to go but sadly my energy levels these days are too low to contemplate it just now. John.