PR: Proprietary Items Dual output coil recommendations

Tracey Tilley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone help, please ?

IMG_3821.jpg Following the failure of the Emgo coil in France, Chris is looking for a replacement.
It has to be 5,OHM and for points ignition.
He will buy 2, one on the bike and one as a spare.

There are some out there, Dyna, Dynatek, Drag etc. They look difficult to mount/hide.
Are there any others?

If searching the US sites should I call it a "twin fire" rather than "dual output"?
He would use a pair of Lucas' but there is no room for them.

Thanks,
Tracey.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Tracey,
Dyna and Dynatek are one and the same.
On both my and my dad's Comets we have run Dyna 5Ohm coils for years without problems.
The mounting for the coils is virtually the same as the EMGO, other than the wiring connections which are screw terminal, which we covered with silicone sealant.

HTH
Neil

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I had a Emgo coil fail several years ago and so did Bill Hedley so I manage to just fit two small Lucas coils and they have not been a problem. The coils are used on 1968 Triumph twins and two will just fit under the cowl, but it all depends on the size of your points housing unit. Advantage is if one fails the bike just goes onto one cylinder so you don't suddenly stop completely. I bought some new genuine Lucas ones part number LU47276 and they have been no problem. Beware of cheap manufacturers.

Simon

greg brillus

VOC Member
The term "Twin spark" or "Dual fire" verses "Single fire" refers to an ignition system whereby the amount of times the spark plug actually sparks.......In a stock Vincent with the original KV-F magneto the ignition produces a single spark to each cylinder only when that cylinder is on compression and fires before top dead center. Whereas on bikes like a Harley, their ignition is a "Dual fire" system also called a "wasted spark" this means that when any cylinder either front or rear is firing on the compression stroke that "Both spark plugs fire at the same time" so that the spark plug on the cylinder not on the compression stroke also sparks, but because the inlet and exhaust valves are on the overlap (exhaust just about to close, and inlet starting to open) there is no appreciable amount of combustible gases to actually ignite and do any harm. I think its only advantage is that it is simple, and the need for any distribution of each spark to any one cylinder is eliminated. I hope that makes some kind of sense. Cheers..................Greg.

Last edited by a moderator: