E: Engine Does anyone index their spark plugs ?

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've seen Roy hurtling around Mallory on his racer , double impressive ! As Nicholas Swager says- if you're prepared to put the effort in..........

One thing has occurred to me, if a twin, still on its' KVF has its front plug ( said " weak" spark one ) indexed AWAY from the inlet valve, would that go towards a poor starting bike. ? Conversely.........?

Plus, if one was indexed away and one towards, would that make a combustion inbalance ?

For answers to this and other imponderables - tune in to next weeks gripping episode !

It would definitely be interesting to know if indexing would make a difference with #1…. especially when using a slack wire advance. If I had to guess, I’d say index it so the ground electrode will help shield the spark from raw fuel. I eagerly await your next episode.

fogrider

VOC Member
Mr Swager suggests that for best combustion efficiency, the open side of the electrode should face the inlet valve, presumably to give the easiest path for the fuel mixture and spark to meet each other.
Wether it would benefit a KVF fired 'bike, difficult to assess. Bottom line - there's nothing to lose !

Cyborg

VOC Member
I refuse to give in. Hopefully this spark is sufficient. 5.5 mm gap. This was taken before the mag was remagnitised, so final result should be quite a bit better. The pencil is sort of like dowsing for polarity.

davidd

VOC Member
One thing has occurred to me, if a twin, still on its' KVF has its front plug ( said " weak" spark one ) indexed AWAY from the inlet valve, would that go towards a poor starting bike. ? Conversely.........?
It is a good point. I read that one tuner liked to protect the electrode from the droplets of fuel that occur when starting. Wet plugs don't start well.

David

fogrider

VOC Member
As an avid reader of Car and Car Conversions in the seventies, David Vizard was the tech guru . One thing he recommended, and I've done ever since - with a sharp, fine cut file , file the end of the earth electrode so it ends at the centre of the centre electrode. File the sides too. The objective being to create a very sharp edge where the spark is created. The theory being that a spark will jump sharp edges at lower voltages. ( or, resist " sparking out " under high compressions.
Or, lash out for fine wire Iridiums instead !

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Note that Iridium plugs are all resistor-type, generally considered sub-optimal for magneto ignition. Better to find non-resistor platinum or gold-palladium fine-wire plugs.
I'm afraid you are incorrect.
There are non resistor iridium plugs available from NGK and Nippon Denso to name but 2

I run B7EIVX on my Comet and they are definately non resistor