"D" gearbox

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After finally getting my clutch to work properly i have now got another problem,it wouldn't be a Vincent would it. I believe that after years of battling with the clutch to get the bike into gear i think i have a chipped or missing tooth on my first gear. Occasionally when i stop and reselect 1st it sounds like chain slipping over a sprocket or the engine shock absorber working. Any other ideas please, as taking the box out is not a 5 minute job.

John Cone

VOC Member
It's hard to say. If you select 1st it seems to go in but as you pull away it's as though it's between 1st and 2nd, it doesn't do it all the time. i have found that there seems to be a lot of travel on the gear pedal and in the higher gears , you select them and let the pedal return to its resting place and then if you rest you foot on the pedal you can feel the indent plunger click in.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, Is the Pin in the top of the gearbox tight, Under the dynamo, The older C/Cases used to split there, Hope not, Cheers Bill.

Albervin

VOC Member
Check your G59AS is adjusted correctly and the G64 is not sloppy. Your G49 and G57 could also be worn. If the G40 is sloppy in the G39AS you will have lost travel in the gear changes. All of this I have learned since the engine rebuild and the subsequent stripping of gearbox today.

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
As you all know, I'm relatively new to the world of Vincent mystery. However, I have been dealing with a gear selection problem over the last couple of weeks and I'll run through the sequence just in case it's of help.

When I first started riding my Rapide after a full restoration I found that gear selection was a problem. I found that I could adjust the G59AS to give equal clearance top and bottom in second gear, adjust G49 appropriately (after taking the eccentric bit out, smoothing it off and greasing it to work easily) and this allowed selection of gears 1,2,3 and 4 in that order fairly reliably. I could not get changing down 4,3,2,1 to work reliably at all. After some messing around, I found that the G64 spring had a lot of play so I tightened the small end to reduce the play. Still no good. Some reading, asking about etc., revealed that it was possible to over-select gears - i.e. the travel of the gearlever was too much to select the gears accurately on the way up. I was told that there was a G61 mod (G61/1) that provided an ear on each side that limits the gearlever travel so I ordered one from the Spares Co. However, when I tried to fit this the right-hand ear fouled the kickstart quadrant and prevented full movement of the G61 to the right - my G61 has to be quite far across to the right to achieve the correct adjustment. I checked the dimensions of the G61/1 and it was wider than the original G61 (this is now being addressed by the Spares Co - thanks Ian). My solution was to make an ear and weld it onto the left side of my old G61 and, after setting up the G59AS and the G49 again, this has now cured the over-selection problem and the gears select correctly. In my case I don't need a right-hand ear because the kickstart quadrant effectively limits the down travel of the gearlever as the G61 is fairly far over to the right.

I suspect that those who have ridden Vincents for a long time are used to feeling the gears in as opposed to expecting the box to function like a modern box. I hope this is useful......