ET: Engine (Twin) Cylinder / head gap

Nastydad

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
can someone please let me know what the gap should be between the barrel and head when a new liner has been fitted, and where the information comes from. Ive seen info ranging from 'a slight gap' to .004". I currently have a gap of .002".
thanks
Paul

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Paul, I´d be allright with 2 thou max., alternatively you could aim for 0.05mm gap. I did 0.03mm on my engines, cannot tell yet, if this will work safely. Not a big deal to have more, at least no deformation likely with 2 thou. My cylinder studs are all stainless, so heat growth will not be as bad on extra bolt stress like with standard ht steel. I think most head bolts on all engines with alu heads get torqued way too much for sealing. Lots of stripped threads from this.

Vic

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi,
can someone please let me know what the gap should be between the barrel and head when a new liner has been fitted, and where the information comes from. Ive seen info ranging from 'a slight gap' to .004". I currently have a gap of .002".
thanks
Paul
The riders handbook does not specify the size of the gap but says to use a little fine grinding paste on the flange and course on the the broad face. Too much clearance can cause distortion. I think I did mine to around 0.002" and have had no blowing joint problems when torqued to 30 ft/lbs.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes 2 or 3 thou with a feeler. My limit (the only time I talk Tourqe) is 32ft lbs for the nuts but its dependant on the state and lubrication of the threads so 30 may not be too low. Any small dings in the faces a smear of silicone sealent (smoothed into depression)

oexing

VOC Member
Actually only the iron liner top face does all sealing. No need for sealer on the alu faces, no oil there - normally . . .

Vic

greg brillus

VOC Member
Normally........yes but the oil can creep up the hold down studs or between the liner and barrel muff......The height of the top hat on the liner should be carefully measured and checked against the head recess.......once this gets below 0.125" then it can be difficult to get the correct seal between the 2 faces.