Cyl. Head and Fuel Pipes - orig. Material?

Sebastian Huber

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,

C Shadow, 1953.
Pum Feed and Rear Pipes (A66AS a. A58AS) are originaly made of brass, right?
I`m going to make Cylinder Head Pipes (A53ASF and ASR) and Fuel Pipes new.
A53ASR (Rear Cyl) looks like aleady replaced, copper pipe, no traces of ever been coated.
All others copper plus cadmium (?) coated even 54AS (Return Pipe).
Is copper original/right?

What material was originaly used for Fuel Pipes?

Thanks for feedback in advance,
Sebastian
Bavaria, Germany

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Hello vibrac,

yes, you are right. Todays fuel hardly can`t get worse but think this mostly affects ruber hoses.
Definitely I don`t think of a museum piece but thought about what was original material.

It`s first time that I do something for apperance.
It starts with Pump Feed Pipe. The original one was hardly dented, deformed and a crack was repaired/soldered.
Replaced it by identical brass tube, OD 11mm.
Same with Cyl Head Pipe A53ASR, OD 8mm. Plumber copper tube. Expect it`s best for this one but think it may be to weak for
Cyl Return Pipe A54As by lack of meachanical strength.

Pipes on Fuel Tee Pieces had already been replaced by stainless ones and now I wonder if I schould to them new in brass or stainless for all the other fuel pipes are brass.

All this drives me to make decision how to coated them. Should shining effect become close to original spec., means
Chem. Zink-Coat what is very close to Cadmium.
Or let`s do it easy, all together Chrom Plating?

This is the pont.

Thank you for feedback to my home brewed problem. Will post results/pics should it go first way.

Regards,
Sebastian

greg brillus

VOC Member
Most fuel and some oil pipes I have seen that were chrome plated tend to leak due to the non flat joint surfaces at the banjo washers....Ridges left from the tie wire used by the chrome plating process. Either cadmium or zinc works best. I could not imagine any machine leaving the works with chrome plated pipes........Greg.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Most fuel and some oil pipes I have seen that were chrome plated tend to leak due to the non flat joint surfaces at the banjo washers....Ridges left from the tie wire used by the chrome plating process. Either cadmium or zinc works best. I could not imagine any machine leaving the works with chrome plated pipes........Greg.
I think I read somewhere that chrome plating can cause embrittlement to some materials. If so is copper affected?
On my '26 Sunbeam a previous owner had plated the copper petrol pipe. It fractured leaving me without petrol. It could of course have been caused by old age (the part ... not me ;)) or other factors.