Coventry Spares mulitplate clutch experience.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Long time ago, I broke a clutch lever, Under the cover, G91, Bill Hancock told me OFF, Said it was only ment for a single plate clutch, Mine was a multi with strong springs for sprinting, Cheers Bill.

Albervin

VOC Member
I have a multi plate clutch and all other standard parts. Have done for 10 years. Standard 2 part pushrod and a roller in between. Lots of time spent getting an even lift and now the springs are marked so they always go back in the same sequence.

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
I readjusted to just BARELY preload the pushrod to get maximum lift without grinding anything off the lever and it works great. I still think it will wear the pushrod over time though. I think the best thing would be to figure out this bearing mod approach. I see the spares company has a thrust plug bearing mod but i believe this will only work with the stock clutch setup.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You have got to have slack, Or you will wear it out again, Some of us use an old Mini inlet valve with a ground down shaft + afew 1/4 1/4" rollers, To push the plate out square, Cheers Bill.

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
So i was on the spares website and noticed they have a thrust plug bearing mod for the factory clutch....anyone have any experience/pictures with this? I was thinking of getting it and machining my aftermarket pressure plate to accept it.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm the chap who developed the needle roller thrust race for the standard Vincent twin clutch and also made one or two for Comet owners. The idea was to ensure that the outer plate lifts squarely. I was also asked to look at one where someone had fitted a Honda clutch to a Comet but there is not enough clearance to be able to fit one in there and some of the modern clutches have them fitted anyway. The one for Vincent twins has a replacement for the C26 with the same thread etc. as the original. If you are able to machine that thread into your pressure plate then it could work but ensure that the inside of the plate has enough flat area to allow the thread to be made and enough space for the width of the whole thing. 10 - 12 mm should be enough but more would be safer and you might have to modify the 'mushroom' which fixes on to the end of the push rod. The Honda clutch, for example had several stiffening ridges on the inside of the pressure plate.