Comet main bearings

vincentbob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am fitting new main bearings as part of the rebuild of my Comet engine and unlike the original bearings the new ones have pressed steel cages, which are not symmetrical when viewed sideways.
I can't see that it would matter which way round they go on the main shafts, but wondered if anyone had more information?
Cheers.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Bob, I am not sure about this, But have a think about if you want to pull it off !!, I seem to remember with the big bit of cage close to the flywheel, It would damage the cage, but the other way you are pulling on the rollers, Cheers Bill.

vincentbob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Bob, I am not sure about this, But have a think about if you want to pull it off !!, I seem to remember with the big bit of cage close to the flywheel, It would damage the cage, but the other way you are pulling on the rollers, Cheers Bill.

Hi Bill, thanks for the feedback; that's a valid point, although I would be windy about damaging the cage either way round, as they are no where near as robust as the original brass caged bearings, and given that I have had to shorten and hone out the outer races to give C3 clearance I am very keen not to have to take them off once fitted.
I've set the centrality of the rod using a dummy bearing that's clearance on the main shaft, so once on all should be well.

I have carefully measured and the cage wont foul anything either way round; just given my intention not to remove the race once fitted I wondered if there was any other reason for the asymmetrical cage.

Cheers.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe more Cheap to make !!, If you can hang on till after the holiday, Howard is our bearing Man, He will tell you, Good Luck, Bill.

vincentbob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Maybe more Cheap to make !!, If you can hang on till after the holiday, Howard is our bearing Man, He will tell you, Good Luck, Bill.
Hi Bill, there's no rush; I dropped the barrel off at Maughans last week for a new liner and piston which will take a few weeks don't need to assemble the bottom yet, so hopefully Howard can put me right.
Thanks again.

clevtrev

VOC Member

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Trev , I have a set of those, But I think it is easy to damage the metal cage if it's fitted close to the flywheel, Cheers Bill.

vincentbob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Bill and Trev, I have a set of similar pullers but I think even they would damage the fragile pressed cages of the bearings that I have; I could make up a split ring that closely fits the rollers and pulls on them whilst holding them against the inner race, but I wont have to bother if I put them on the right way round to start with (if there is a wrong way).
Cheers.