G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Comet Gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petemark41

New Forum User
VOC Member
Hi everyone, getting comet ready for spring l thought l would check gearbox lubrication, after removing inspection cap & dipping all l got was a little blob of oil/grease on the end of the rod, l have two manuals which give conflicting advice the 1st states gearbox was pac,ked with grease when new, the 2nd manual states after 1951 the gearbox took one & half pints of oil my comet is 1953, l can't see a drain plug om mine there is very little of any thing in mine, any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

A Nut

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When the gearbox was filled with grease it tended to whine due to the fact that the plain bearings on the layshaft tend to run dry. It was recommended to put a quantity of oil in to mix with the grease but it appears that you don't have any in your gearbox! My early Comet (badged HRD like the Meteor) doesnt have a drain plug but when I reassembled it a while ago I put the 1 &1/2 pints in and from memory it came up almost to the gearchange. You can measure down to check the oil level through the inspection hole. A word of warning however if your kickstart and or gearchange is worn you will find that it will weep oil. You could instead use some of the semi fluid grease that is available through the VOC Spares Company. In theory it shouldn't leak out as fast!
Brian

JayAC1

New Forum User
VOC Member
Hi everyone, getting comet ready for spring l thought l would check gearbox lubrication, after removing inspection cap & dipping all l got was a little blob of oil/grease on the end of the rod, l have two manuals which give conflicting advice the 1st states gearbox was pac,ked with grease when new, the 2nd manual states after 1951 the gearbox took one & half pints of oil my comet is 1953, l can't see a drain plug om mine there is very little of any thing in mine, any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
There seems to be many schools of thought on this. The grease needs to be a semi fluid as the gearbox isn't oil tight. Some people use a solid grease mixed with oil to loosen it up. I personally use Carlube 00EP Autolube Grease from Simply Bearings, which is a Semi Fluid Lithium Grease. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p356122/Carlube-00EP-Autolube-Grease-3kg/product_info.html

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My thoughts are the level of oil or grease should be about 1 and a 1/4 " from the bottom,
But it's tricky to get a thin screwdriver to the lowest part,
I like the grease Brian told you about, Magic for keeping oil/grease in,
700 grams from empty, But not easy to get it in , Maybe warm the grease first ?,
But it will take time to get right inside the box, Maybe a few short rides,
There must be something already in there ?.

Years ago I just added some of the semi grease, Not a lot !, And it sealed mine .
Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
I use the semi fluid swivel grease from Landrover.Since 10000 miles no problem! Erik

Petemark41

New Forum User
VOC Member
Gentlemen, thanks to all who replied to my query, l now know what my problem is & how to deal with it, great forum, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.