G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Comet Burman Gearlever

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I have searched for a gearlever for my series c comet for some years now and having no success made a copy of my original alloy one from a BSA bantam gearlever which was the only thing I could find with splines which fitted the shaft.
I cut off the kickstart shaft and welded an extension to it which I filed to look like the cranked Burman lever.
I attach a picture of the steel gearlever I made which works fine as a spare but in the event of an accident may break the gearbox casing.
Does any one know where I could get a gearlever please because the spares company do not seem to have one off the shelf.
I attach pictures of the lever I made which may be of interest - though I think they may already be on the forum somewhere from years ago.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi
I have tried to drag and drop the gearlever photo from my Vincent folder and the system will not attach the picture to the text I sent.
What am I doing wrong please,
Matty
100_0692.JPG

IRBrock

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi
I have tried to drag and drop the gearlever photo from my Vincent folder and the system will not attach the picture to the text I sent.
What am I doing wrong please,
MattyView attachment 50956
I bought a new one from Neil Videan at the Australian Rally held in Parkes, N.S.W., in 2016. Perfect copy of original.
Don't know if he still has them but worth asking. Ian.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The Ariel twins and Squaffers up to 1951 had a steel lever of the right spline size, and it is easy to bend it hot. It is too lumpy to use the original gear indicators though. Was it your lovely hard working Comet I saw in Pennsylvania in 2011?

Matty

VOC Member
Thanks all
Seem to have the picture of my home made gear lever on the forum now and the VOC spares have found some which are alloy but by my standards very expensive.
So I now have the original bodged one on the Comet and my homemade steel one as a spare, so should be OK for some time.
Am off to the Isle of Man for the VMCC rally and Manx GP in a few weeks, though at 86 am putting the bike in a trailer with some friends bikes even though I have driven the 300 miles there since the 1970s and feel I am cheating really.