C: Clutch Clutch shaft seal

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you for the credit, or part credit for the O ring mod but I have to give all the credit to Norman here for this tip and honestly a lot of tips over the years to improve our Vincents. I have the advantage over some owners in that I have access to very skilled machinists and welders etc.
Actually, the tip is in one of the Vincent books, (and MPH a few years back) "Into the Millenium" indexed under 'clutches'
I have to tell you all I am not a long term Vincent owner, in fact, less than 10 years.. However, what I decided to do when I started my ownership journey I accumulated books and Knowledge! Mostly from Vincent owners/riders and engineers cleverer than me. This I would advise to most people, several decades of experience are out there, and thanks a lot to this forum (big thanks to He/Him that cannot be named, I believe I have his pronouns correct Haha) for answering many questions, some stupid maybe but not to the poster (?)
Since I've owned my Rapide I've successfully put on quite a few miles and found the bike to be usable and reliable, able to keep up with modern traffic and capable of stopping and being seen by other road users, thanks to disc brakes, LED lighting and signals. I've been less concerned with originality than usability, there are enough stock bikes in collections and museums!
Don't be afraid to ask the 'elders' or read through the books and postings.. Most important.. Ride your Vincent!
I remember back in the sixties when I bought my first Rapide (for £65 to go racing) I used to go to the Oxford VOC section, there were a lot of racers then Mick Winter, John Ward, The Elgers, Ron Kemp, Tom Reeve and others, back then there were few books to read, tuning for speed, a chapter in Robinson and monthly MPH and certainly no internet. I had a little note book and when I got home I would put down all I gleaned from conversations like "copper wire through the brake springs to stop squeal from AM4"
We do indeed stand on the shoulders of giants and I am glad I could pass my 'gleenings' on to my son, very satisfying.

highbury731

VOC Member
I made an O-ring holder for the clutch shoe carrier out of very ordinary alu bar stock. It has to transmit all of the pressure from the clutch nut, about 80 lb/ft. I am not certain that it will withstand that pressure.
Also, I understand that the outer cover does not have an oil drain. Some folks do a cut-away on one of the cover screws. I presume this is a shallow channel from the lowest screw below the front of the clutch housing. What looked at first to be an unused boss for an oil drain is actually for the primary chain tensioner.
Edit - what torque for the ESA nut?

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Chain case drain: