ET: Engine (Twin) Chopped Cases

roger v

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Chris,

Did you need an ESA or some kind of cush drive set up with the belt drive primary, or is this taken care of by the belt itself? Thanks.
Hi Chris Can you please detail how you mounted the alternator on to a std shaft . Thinking of going a similar ay but with a Susuki 750 clutch which contains an ESA . regards

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Chris Can you please detail how you mounted the alternator on to a std shaft . Thinking of going a similar ay but with a Susuki 750 clutch which contains an ESA . regards
Hi roger, the belt pulley is retained by a longer than standard ESA sleeve nut (PD7) I had made (the plain section being almost the same length as the alternator rotor thickness) on backwards, ie with the hexagon against the pulley, and the plain section outwards, this has a 1"od.
I then bored the alternator out to this size (normally 3/4" and has a keyway, so there is plenty there), the pulley has two 5/16" extractor holes, I fitted one of these with a bolt that had the head cut off and drilled a corresponding hole in the rotor, there is about 1/4" engagement.
The rotor is held on by a bolt I had made with the same thread as the mainshaft which of course threads into the new ESA sleeve nut.
I have not had the slightest problem with this arrangement, though I haven't done a high mileage on it.