ET: Engine (Twin) Carburettors 1952 Black Shadow

Geoff12

Forum User
VOC Member
I am thinking of changing the carbs to Amal 389‘s, does anyone have experience of fitting these and performance - or advice of whether to change from the original 289’s?
plus can anyone tell where I can purchase the flange adaptors to fit the 389’s?
thanks

Last edited:

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Geoff,

Series Ds were fitted with monoblocks from new so there should be a lot of info out there.

It is generally reckoned that if you ask five Vincent owners the same question you’ll get at least seven opinions.
Monoblocks seem to have a poor reputation and I would fit Mk1 Concentrics in preference. Many people seem to hate Mk1s but I dislike later carbs without a tickler.

New Original pattern carbs are available and should cure any problem you are having.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
There is a pair of adapters on ebay ?,
I would think Surrey cycles , Would stock them ?.
For settings Don't forget the main jets for monobloc's use 280 to 300 ,
Where as Concentric's 220 ish !.
Good Luck, Bill.

kinsellm

Forum User
VOC Member
There is a pair of adapters on ebay ?,
I would think Surrey cycles , Would stock them ?.
For settings Don't forget the main jets for monobloc's use 280 to 300 ,
Where as Concentric's 220 ish !.
Good Luck, Bill.
Do you know why then main jet settings are so different? Seems odd when the bore of the carburetor is he same

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry no, I was playing with a Comet and Monobloc,
And I think I FORGOT !! about the main jet, But it was too heavy and I gave up after a bit,
It was rubber mounted and it fell off !!, I do play too much sometimes.
I have used so many different carb's on my bikes , Strange racing ones and all sorts,
And they all went well,
But that monobloc upset me
I think it's all about air flow, But The "D" Latest Vincents As Ian said used them OK,
And got good MPG out of them, So if that's what you want, The settings are in the Book.
Good Luck, Bill.

andy tarnik

New Forum User
VOC Member
I am thinking of changing the carbs to Amal 389‘s, does anyone have experience of fitting these and performance - or advice of whether to change from the original 289’s?
plus can anyone tell where I can purchase the flange adaptors to fit the 389’s?
thanks
Make the change . All around performance is worth the expense . Use only the 389 Premier carb. Add the roll off stand and enjoy easy one kick starts .

vibrac

VOC Member
There are a range of adapters available from the Spares Company covering most combinations of size and carburetor (even Mikunis!)