ET: Engine (Twin) Camshaft design

D

Deleted member 3831

Greg, I'm with you on the cam follower job. It has been done on at least two motors ,also had proper overhead rockers. The height penalty was not an issue as they were in a sidecar outfit, and a right quick one. Now if I had a bit more oil pressure I could use hydraulic followers with rollers.

Proper overhead rockers, I take it you mean something like this ?

Attachments

• Steel rocker post.jpg
    Steel rocker post.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 66

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is this for use in a car or an outfit. It looks as though it might make the engine quite tall. Any pictures of it installed and did it make much difference? If this is the same engine which had the special cams and direct acting followers, which Grey One posted a photograph of then it looks like a very interesting engine.

vibrac

VOC Member
It would be good to see how PEI designed the 4 valve head (I have seen the original drawing but only a quick glance) and from that Thomo built the resultant engine/s
in true tradition when Thomo built the first 500 engine with 4 valves BHR would not let him race in the big wheel class and he had to race with the kneelers boy did some of those BMW boys get a shock!
He has since developed the the four valve he also had another twin 4 valve under construction in a 'Lightning' guise.

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
It was in Dave Mallows outfit. Went very well. One had G 50 rods+pistons, ina ends+ lots more goodies.
Roy, from what I saw, there was very little of anything vincent around that engine, possibly only the cylinder angle!!
I have never seen so much welding on either a head or crankcase as on that engine - and that one had lots on both!

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
OK now here is a (longstanding) question of mine for the learned on here.
Mr Irving hand ground the original racing Mk2 in 1948, which many still use as the std 'go faster' cam to this day.
Mr Roland Pike spent many hours of the 1950s at the BSA dyno tweaking his racing big pushrod singles cam forms, with good results that stand the test of time today.
Presumably the BSA valve events give more BHP/L than Mk2s, so has anyone transposed the BSA valve events on to a cam form suitable for a vin and if so, who and when, or even why not? or are there even better valve events available these days (presumeably as an information cascade from F1).

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Fritz Egli's son works for Mercedes F1, last I heard he was using their cad cam to devise some new cams for Terry Prince. Personally I am running T P mk4 cams in the norvin, makes the rapide feel like a moped.

greg brillus

VOC Member
From the little I know, Terry's Mk 5 cams and radius-ed followers were designed with help from Egli's son. I used them in the racer and although they did seem to produce more power and torque than his Mk 2 cams, the cams he supplied me did not have the lift figures they were supposed to. When I asked Ken Horner about them, he just laughed...............Even though I ended up smashing the rear cam in two due to broken valve springs the lobes and surfaces of the followers were showing signs of bad chatter marks. I was running Morris castor oil but even that did not save them. It appears the best way to gain big power outputs is to open the valves a lot more, and for longer. To achieve this on a Vincent takes quite a lot of work, but it can be done. The Horners got 96 HP from their original 49' HRD Rapide engine by doing just that, but for the average "Joe" it would be a costly exercise.

D

Deleted member 3831

The engine powers a sidecar outfit.
Photo taken at an early Mallory practice session, 2017

Attachments

• Mallory 2017.jpg
    Mallory 2017.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 66