ET: Engine (Twin) Camshaft design

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Please....I don't understand..what is SPACE in a garage???????o_O
Apparently "Space" is a new frontier according to a well known Scifi TV programme. In my garage a space ids something that magically appears when I move something outside to create room for a new item. The space works brilliantly until I go outside and realise I have to find a space for athe thing I moved to make a space. Maybe I need a new frontier or probably a new shed.
(I moved lots of things around yesterday to create a space for a small bench to use as a welding station. I came up with a solution that I hope will work and leave space to walk around my bike lift. I'm hinging the bench top to the wall so that it lifts up out of the way when not in use. Today I'm goint to see if I can make some hinged support legs for the front of the bench that drop down when the top is lowered. Fingers crossed that it works.}

vibrac

VOC Member
For eight years a 900cc Honda (A donor for a Tony Foal frame project that never got started) took up space in the garage, finally I sold it on ebay (12% return on capital:)) a space to move:) ! Lets call that day zero, on day +3 Ben said 'Dad I have a K100 from AU can you look after it untill after Christmas?:eek:" back to square one:(.

davidd

VOC Member
A must have for anyone who likes to really get into things. I must build one but first I have to try to make yet another space in the garage.

Eddy,

Just convince yourself that the new cam machine will inhabit the cumulative space presently occupied by the scraps used to build this wonderful contraption!

I must admit I find this really useful. Here is a better shot of the workings:

100_2627.jpg

It was the only good place to use an aluminum large idler boss. The turning handle is quite high because it was designed to do the long cam also. You can add or move spacers and bring the half time and idler gear up to a higher position. The local lobster pound provides the valve springs. The 11" disc makes for easy reading.

I originally wanted to read off the valve stems, which is most accurate. Unfortunately, it was very difficult to duplicate the internal geometry of the heads to get the best readings. Some day I will take readings off cams coming out of an engine, put them in the machine and adjust the components until I get the same readings. Until then, the push rod geometry is relatively easy to duplicate, so I take the readings off the adjusters. This is fine for determining what the cam is, the timing events and any defects there may be.

Updated Cam Machine 2017  (2).jpg

In this shot you can see some cam gear wheels that have been modified. Pat Manning turned the ID larger and pressed in an aluminum ring. This was sized for a "tap fit" of the cam into the gear wheel. This way you can do a bare shaft by tapping it into a wheel that will not damage anything.

If I am understanding Roger correctly, this is exactly what he needs. He could run his cams through and note their timing and condition. I think it would be a lovely thing for someone in an active UK section to do. I have checked cams for others through the mail, but it is nice to have one locally.

David

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
A beautiful piece of work David. I've seen many different cam profiles (or lack of) in these engines and mostly they all seem to work one way or the other. It's nice to see this job being done properly.

roger edwards

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
All I need is an actual drawing of a Mk 2 cam or the loan of a Mk2 cam known to be correct .If the later I will get it digitised and a drawing made from the results,
When I raced the cams were very good and similar front to rear but the ones that I have now collected are all sorts of lift and base diameter.I have seen the x5 drawing in the hand book and just want a similar drawing for a Mk2.If need be I will make a jig similar to Davids to get what I want.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
All I need is an actual drawing of a Mk 2 cam or the loan of a Mk2 cam known to be correct .If the later I will get it digitised and a drawing made from the results,
When I raced the cams were very good and similar front to rear but the ones that I have now collected are all sorts of lift and base diameter.I have seen the x5 drawing in the hand book and just want a similar drawing for a Mk2.If need be I will make a jig similar to Davids to get what I want.
I understand where you're coming from Roger however I suggest if you're going to get cams made then best to stick to a known supplier. I've got some experience with a hand-held optical/laser scanner and can tell you his is not the way to go given the amount of post-processing required. Cam profiles need to be accurate to less then 0.0001" per degree rotation and any extremely minor imperfection can cause chaos in the valve train. davidd's approach is the most elegant I've seen to date to try to quantify cam/valve lift etc. ... and probably a response to so many profiles being out there. Best for davidd to comment on this though.
I agree with you that there seems to be an infinite range of profiles out there, probably caused by copy-grinding a copy of a copy, so why not go with what is proven to work? There are many good suppliers out there, Gary Robinson, Megacycle etc. ... so you know what you're getting.
In the past I've designed and built cams and followers, not for Vincent, but special applications and strangely enough the same style of Vincent mechanism, and can tell you first hand this is not an easy task unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money and time.
'Cam talk' is best made sharing a beer with friends and better to buy a know quantity from a reliable and proven supplier.
1512264406279.png
1512264598508.png

roger edwards

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the imfo however Its a project that I have had for some time and I cant see any real problems.My idea was to make a simple attachment to fit on a J&S 540 using the good cam as the cam to grind a cam to ,if you know what I mean.
Its all good fun especially as I am now retired and have lots of time.

D

Deleted member 3831

passenger0_0
your models look very like cams and followers for an Ariel Red Hunter, and to say the permutations are considerable would be an understatement, allowing for the variations of finger followers that can be used.

Has any Vincent enthusiast ever used a Picador radius finger follower for (say) the exhaust, whilst retaining the original flat follower for the intake ?
Or to put it another way, used a similar follower mix with a Picador camshaft ?

Is there a special Picador cam ?
Perhaps I should have asked that question first.