Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
wow thats great! pity it does not include author
looks like MPH 464 might help on seals for Burmans
Me? I'm off to look up the Albion box article

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I used to make oil tight Burmans years ago to retain Mobil #1 gear oil. I forget what I did but I do think Viton quad-seals had something to do with it. Damn my memory sucks. Hint: don't get old.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Fact is I do have clinical memory loss due the joys of PTSD which causes me no end of trouble. Probably, if I had a Burman to take apart, it would serve to remind me of what I did.
I fixed transmissions in other machines and my head jumbles it all up
so I an not sure what I did to what. Naturally, I'd rather it not be like this, but I am stuck with it.
I finished my goofy P-38 Solar powered whirly gig..... it even has a remote switch so I can turn it on and off from inside.
I'll take a picture of the works and figure out how to send it to you.
Your Vincent is really nice!!!!!!

Howard

VOC Member
Just checked my box and there does not seem to be any endplay on the gearchange shaft - but that does not mean there is no slop between the spring box and the gearbox case itself. Blowed if I know how to measure that one!

I am just toying with the idea of machining a recess on the inside face of the Control Lever Bushing PR50-C054 (thats the bit the gear lever shaft passes through) and installing a oil seal, like the sort of thing that seals the dynamo shaft on a Comet - that seal is E224. I know the E224 will not fit, but I suspect any decent bearing shop may be able to come up with one that will.

But as I say - I'm just going through the thought processes at present.

Martyn

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=19_4463

Martyn, try this site before you commit cutter to metal, it'll tell you all the standard seal sizes available. Go for a double lipped seal, one lip keeps the grease in, the other keeps the dirt out, Viton shouldn't be necessary on that side of the gearbox. As you say, any decent bearing stockist ought to have them, I buy them on ebay now, postage is cheaper that petrol!

H

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Just found this in MPH #464, Sept 1987. Oh and let me remind you that my problem is a leak around the gear change shaft on the Burman box.

"From Ray Smith. An oil seal for the Burman Kickstart shaft. It is a one inch diameter seal, a few thou under 3/16 thick and a few thou tight on the shaft (which from memory is 11/16 inch). Rays seal was American made and its number is 10006818 and cost something like 1.40 pounds."

As I said, my problem is the gear change shaft and I am stll searching for the ultimate, proven solution.

Martyn

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Marty, my usual practice to seal a shaft though a cover was to cut an o-ring groove in the i.d. of the bush that supports the shaft. With splined shafts care must be taken to slightly radius and smooth the lead in edge and smooth the corners
the splines and fit gently with grease as not to nip a chunk out of the o-ring during insertion. I believe this is what I may have done in this case.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
I just did my A box , o-rings on the gear change inner shaft and a lip seal on the gear change outer shaft and an o-ring on the kick start shade , have not run it yet so we will see if it is oil and grease tight .

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I just did my A box , o-rings on the gear change inner shaft and a lip seal on the gear change outer shaft and an o-ring on the kick start shade , have not run it yet so we will see if it is oil and grease tight .

OK I may be dumb - but what is a lip seal? Is their a part number and did you need to do any machining to install it - if yes, what machining?

Martyn
(a green new chum)