Burman Box Oil/Grease Leak

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Being pedantic Bruce (not like me :) ) that's the double lipped seal I mentioned earlier. Not all lip seals have the dust lip, so dirt can get to the proper seal and wear it out. Worse still. Grit beds itself into the seal and wears a groove in the shaft, so that fitting a new seal sometimes doesn't cure a leak.

H

vincenttwin

VOC Member
The bushing that the gear change outer shaft run,s in has lots of meat on the inside !i put my lip seal facing backwards in there ,go to your bearing house with your gear box cover and your shaft and see what fits.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Being of an age when it was accepted that all British motorcycles dripped oil (not leaked), especially those equipped with a Burman gearbox, it was regarded in a similar vein to steam locomotive engineering. It showed that oil was getting to the right place, i.e. the gearchange shaft and as a useful by-product it prevented the exhaust pipe rusting at its most vulnerable spot. However, two of the Burman gearboxes that have come my way were fitted with a leather oil seal/collar. This fitted snugly over the steel bush projecting from the gearbox cover and was sandwiched and compressed slightly by the gear pedal when in place. Whilst not 100% effective it reduced the egress of oil/grease and had no effect on gear changing. I do not know whether these leather seals were an original Burman product or a later addition.