ET: Engine (Twin) Broken Quill

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I discovered that my quill was broken and when I tried to pull it out, I just pushed it deeper. My high tech tool to finally get it out was a bent wire. The front part was left straight to guide it into the bore, then the bends were enough to grip it and let me pull it out.

Quill 2023.jpg

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
There has been a problem with some quills in that the 3/8" thread projects beyond the inner face of the timing cover. a thing to watch if you use a modified "O" ring seal under the head instead of the original fibre or copper/asbestos seal. Very little space before it hits the end of the crankshaft and consequently gets worn through. Misalignment could be another cause.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Most of the quills I have extracted (whole) are far more worn than that! I guess it was a faulty part check the new one and fit with standard washer

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Is the added thickness of the standard pn 225 - 1/8 BSP C&A WASHER from my fibre washer critical to avoid too much contact with the mainshaft?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Seems so, but quills have lasted for quite a while in the past. I'd rather check it more often than tear down the engine and search for someone to fix the cover. I should have ordered two quills this time to have a spare.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I've got to be very careful when I rebuild my engine because a broken quill cost me a seized engine and a big bill to overhaul the crankshaft!