Blown Comet

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is a blown Rudge, a Leigh Rudge I think.

There was a similar bike built and ridden by Bill Orris.

20140816_222005.jpg

Last edited:

Andy55

Forum User
VOC Member
There was a 350 BSA Blown sprinter in the 70s, I think it was a record holder, Jim something, Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill thanks for that, I believe that there is a blown BSA unit single currently being sprinted in the N.S.A. I went to the last meeting at Westonzoyland and intend to go to the last meet of the season next weekend. As you know my vision of a Norvin has to have a chopped motor. however, having now got the Comet motor, (bead blasted , polished and sat in our front room in front of the fireplace), I was just thinking that with it installed in a featherbed frame the gap where the rear pot should be would make a great home for a blower!! The original reason for buying the Comet motor was to offer it in an advert in MPH as bait in a deal against the elusive chopped twin cases but the more I look at it the more I like the idea. I am planning to compete next year in the N.S.A. series, initially with my Cheney BSA
regards
Andy

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Andy, The name I was after I think was Jim Balchin, The Comet can be made quicker, I did the standard road bike with Grey flash spec' engine, Open exhaust, Mk2 cam, Open up the inlet hole in the head, Bigger Carb' Maybe 9 to 1 piston, And was timed at 99.8 mph at the end of a Flying 1/4 mile. With your BSA gearbox it might be better to ride. As John said, I think you can do good things with altering the bore and or stroke, I plan a 560 cc Just on stroke if I ever get round to it!!, A bloke did very well in Vintage racing a few years ago, On a Matchless, I think with 84 bore and 102 stroke, I have the short conrod, Just need the flywheels altering, That way I can use standard push rods etc, I would prefer to use standard pistons, The BIG ones are a lot of money ?, and you would have to open up the Crank case mouth, But some people have done it ok. Good Luck, Bill.