Blown Comet

Andy55

Forum User
VOC Member
Just wondered if any of you clever Vincent guys have any experience of supercharging the post war Comet motor? I know Brian Chapman produced the amazing "Mighty Mouse" but I was thinking more for a road application

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Andy,

I would love to see it done. If you have not already read them, read Phil Irving's articles on the pre-war supercharged single. They are on line. There are a whole host of issues. One of the issues is that singles don't lend themselves well to supercharging because there is nowhere for the charge to go once the single has taken a gulp. It has to wait an eternity for the next gulp. But, it has been done successfully on a number of Bonneville single cylinders. I am not sure it would lend itself well to the street.

As I remember, when Phil was done the bike went about as well as the normally aspirated racer.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Andy, Like the idea, But the insurance people would have a Fit !, I like the idea of a Turbo, But it would make the Exhaust look bad, And everybody would know !!.Why don't you put a complete twin engine in, Like it was !, Good Luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Blowers are Ok open her up and away you go... Then... you have to shut down! The (unblown) Racing Comet on Methanol would almost lock the wheel coming into the Cadwell hairpin with just a touch of back brake, just try it with a great big blower to turn as well-or can you fit a slipper clutch on a blower?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Been looking unsuccessfully for a set of chopped twin cases for my Norvin build for two years now. Recently bought a Comet motor and thought why not fit that instead and just to make life interesting why not fit a blower?
A long time ago at a sprint meeting on North Weald airfield on the auto jumble stalls someone had a Comet motor for sale. It appeared to be an unfinished project where a Wade(?) blower was driven off the timing gears. I wonder if anyone bought it? I recall it was a very early post war engine with "HRD" on the castings.