Where Are You Now? Black Shadow engine F10AB/1B/8661

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, sheer curiosity this-above is the original engine no. from my Shadow. It was exported new to Portland, USA in March 1952.
My bike came from the Crazy George Disteel estate-maybe already with a different motor - so perhaps the above engine, if it still exists, is still in the San Francisco area?? Anyone know of this engine?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The engine was in a bike that was sold by Bonhams in 2017.

Simon

1660bob

VOC Member
Hi Simon, great info- and it all figures too- my engine (9668) + 1900= 11568 is the engine from that bike!! I note from the Bonhams description that it was, like my bike, shipped to Portland, USA, and re-patriated in 1979- not long after the 1978 auction sale of George Disteels estate. Maybe it was a Disteel bike also? who knows.... Thanks again for the info, good to know it still exists , Bob C

1660bob

VOC Member
Further to above- just been on Fleabay and bought a copy of Oct `88 Performance Bikes for the history file!! God Bless I.T. !!, Bob C

1660bob

VOC Member
Hi Hanspeter, good to know it still exists!

The engines must have been swapped in America for some reason, I wonder why?

If you don`t mind me asking, do you know if your bike came from the George Disteel estate i.e. the Butterfields auction in San Francisco in 1978? That might suggest Disteel swapped the engines??
Regards, Bob.

A_HRD

VOC Member
For what it's worth, according to my little black notebook, I first saw this Shadow at the Annual Rally (UK) in 1981 with a UK registration number. The numbers were exactly as indicated by Hanspeter above.
Peter B

Last edited:

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi Hanspeter, good to know it still exists!

The engines must have been swapped in America for some reason, I wonder why?

If you don`t mind me asking, do you know if your bike came from the George Disteel estate i.e. the Butterfields auction in San Francisco in 1978? That might suggest Disteel swapped the engines??
Regards, Bob.
Crazy George didn't work on anything, he just stuffed them away out of sight.

Hanspeter

New Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Bob (we both are in the same boot due to engine number)
I found a copie DMV Title Feb.5.1968 the owner name: Boone Bill Sebastopol Calif. with F10AB/1B/8661
The engine also was swaped befor this date.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Bob (we both are in the same boot due to engine number)
I found a copie DMV Title Feb.5.1968 the owner name: Boone Bill Sebastopol Calif. with F10AB/1B/8661
The engine also was swapped before this date.
I don't know what the photograph has to do with this topic but I wish that every time the photograph of Mark Forsythe doing a bit of posing on a Vincent twin resurfaces it could have the spurious mention of John Surtees cropped off.