ET: Engine (Twin) Black Shadow Crankcase Threads

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
So it goes on, still no definitive answer. Vic states 60 degrees as measured and I feel this must be correct.
John.
Know Thy Beast states 55 degrees and British Standards state 55 degrees as well.

Both of Vic's bikes came from Argentina and admits his head studs are "Argentinan two part cylinder studs" so I doubt they are Vincent factory made. Its well known that spares were not available in Argentina due to trade restrictions and so a lot of sub standard parts were made by Argentinian owners. So what he has measured cannot be taken as original.

delboy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And, a brand new 9/16" x 20 Whit' form tap goes down unmolested crankcase threads and fits like a glove, thence so do original cylinder studs.
At least they have done after the last forty years or so.

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is not very likely that all two part studs on my two Argentinan engines were modified for the 60 deg. threads, they all look very standard. It is hard to imagine how they fu***d up these studs, there are other places more likely to ruin , so my guess , still standard. I got me a tap but just for cleaning up all threads in the case after I extracted the brass adapters for the inner studs. This new tap is marked UN 9/16 - 20 , not UNF or other sort and I don´t remember where I got that, from Aliexpress maybe, not Tracy´s . It has same 60 deg profile and I don´t remember if it removed much of alu when cleaning out the threads, unlikely.
Yes, some more metrics now, the 10 mm stainless single studs, 1.5 pitch at bottom, 1mm pitch for top nuts. So now all hollow dowels from bottom to top head bracket with 10 mm studs only. But the 9/16-20 remains in the engine case for taking the 7075 alu adapters. Possibly there are some brass inserts I removed in the remains of parts boxes but would that be a proof to some here ?

Vic

Just looked up Ali, the taps are bicycle crank threads 9/16-20 , see link:

9/16-20 tap

P1080685.JPG

P1080921.JPG

RayF

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have ordered today a tap,9/16 X 20 ,60 deg thread. The manufacturers comment was,ah yes,cycle thread. I also inspected the stud and plug that had been fitted to the crankcase. The plug/insert was 3/4 unc. The end of the stud had been turned down to something under half inch and threaded and fitted into the plug. I don't know yet the size of what it was tapped to as the plug is presently seized onto the stud. We would prefer to use a standard 9/16 stud and the 7/8 plug leaves little wall thickness so we are thinking to open that out to 1 inch.

RayF

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Is ADM the same thread? I just googled BSC and the 5 links I viewed say 60 degrees?