Beware fuel tank sealer

SteveF

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ah, I have just discovered a hairline leak in my tank which is aluminium rather than steel. I was considering using a chemical lining as last time I tried to get a tank welded everyone I spoke to refused for fear of explosions.
I couldn't really argue and used Araldite which I seem to recall didn't do a very good job.
I guess I'll try to locate Petseal over here.

Cheers - Steve

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Ah, I have just discovered a hairline leak in my tank which is aluminium rather than steel. I was considering using a chemical lining as last time I tried to get a tank welded everyone I spoke to refused for fear of explosions.
I couldn't really argue and used Araldite which I seem to recall didn't do a very good job.
I guess I'll try to locate Petseal over here.

Cheers - Steve
Back in the day as they say nowadays when I worked in a motorcycle repair shop we used to run the tank overnight with a water hose on constant. However we are now on water meters! Sounds like your guys need to man up. Mind you we all took cover when the welder lit the torch!

davidd

VOC Member
There is a greater likelihood of having a higher fuel/air mix in the shop with the petrol taps left on than in a fuel tank that has been emptied and sat open for a day. When welded, particularly aluminum, you can back feed an argon line into the tank which will force out most of the oxygen. This is as common as welding rods in a shop. Here is a photo of Glen's Egli oil tank. He used argon to remove the atmosphere in the tank so the back of the weld would not crystalize:
Glen 04.jpg

Most of the tanks that I have welded have just sat dry for a while.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My brother Ron, Was a welder, He built my Big tank on my Special, Half oil half petrol, He mended a tank for me and to get the fumes out he ran a car exhaust through it for some time, But be Careful !! Cheers Bill.

highbury731

VOC Member
People who weld tanks speak of 'steaming' to remove petrol vapours. I understand this to mean holding the tank filler hole over a steaming kettle. The heat evaporates any petrol remaining in the pores of the metal. Steam remaining in the tank will also reduce risk of explosion should any petrol be left.

davidd

VOC Member
My brother Ron, Was a welder, He built my Big tank on my Special, Half oil half petrol, He mended a tank for me and to get the fumes out he ran a car exhaust through it for some time, But be Careful !! Cheers Bill.

Bill,

Your brother Ron was using the cheap carbon dioxide. You can use the more expensive stuff too...dry ice.

David

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I've welded a number of tanks after I've flushed it with water for 10 to 15 minutes, let the air line from the compressor bleed through it for a couple of cycles, then left it to air for a couple days.
Steven

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have one tank that I never got round to fixing, Made sure I didn't put too much petrol in befor an MOT !! And it seems to have sealed it's self, ? Rust ? Cheers Bill.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
My silly buisness partner , some years ago ,decided he could weld-up a leaking fuel tank. He connected a "hoover " to the filler pipe, figuring that the fumes would be "evacuated " by said vaccum machine. Just as the fire extinguisher rep entered the premises, he started to "weld" A jet of flame extided the "hoover" and blew the insides of the machine several yards outside of our worklshop! The rep fellow almost "filled his pants" I figure Icant really say what happend ! His response was "I guess I c an't really help you guys!