OP: Oil Pump Bending new replacement oil lines to fit

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
20211104_OilFeedAngle1.jpg

I am looking at a nice new replacement oil line that is way off in its path.
what are the best methods of bending this steel tubing to fit?
This bottom banjo is off in angle.
The upper is pointing at the rear manifold.

cold bend using hammer, screwdriver and pliers? or something more sensible?

The vintage line shown routed a successful path on the bike in progress, but belongs to another bike.

craig

VOC Member
Set up in vice with alloy angle soft jaws and a Bounty folded paper towel.

20211105_ViceTwistBanjo.jpg

20211105_ViceTwistBanjo2.jpg

20211105_ViceTwistBanjo3.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Well I got out a Comet oil set and did a compare.
Looks like it is a Comet feed line.
Thank for the suggestion. I feel pretty stupid, but that's an everyday occurrence.

20211105_ViceTwistBanjo5Comet.jpg
However this new feed line is the only one in my inventory and a close compare shows similar issues for Comet use.
So I will be bending this line to suit twin app.

The vintage feed and return lines are zinc plated copper, the new lines are steel.
Does any supplier offer these Vincent oil lines in copper?

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Set up the open end to increase the bend angle to suit.
This new steel line fit perfectly into an Öhlins soft jaw 12mm (#00727-02).
put a 3/8" steel rod into the open end, nice close fit.
I used a 3' piece of 3/8, but 18" would have been fine
Heated the bend with a heat gun and, with effort, made the bend tighter to suit.

20211105_BendOilLineupper.jpg

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The Comet feed pipe A66/2AS differs from the Twin one. Easiest way to check is to place the banjo on a flat surface. When viewed from the "front of the engine" position the pipe curves up vertically whereas the Twin one has a significant offset to clear the wider crankcases. Saying that, the current pipes are wrong anyway! The last one I bought was made from 12mm. o.d. pipe with an incorrect radius at the bottom. This in turn made the banjo sit unevenly. Fortunately my local hobby supplies store had 11mm. thin wall brass tube in stock. Filled with fine dry sand and bunged with wood I bent it using a profane torch- a Devil of a job. I then turned and milled a new banjo I have reported this to Bob at the Spares Co. The brass tube came from the U.S.A. in one metre lengths, only about .004" different in diameter to original pipe, don't tell the Concours judges, will you?

craig

VOC Member
The newly rebent Comet to Twin oil feed line is usable, but not what I would like. This bend pattern does not clear the kick start cover as I would prefer.
This feed line needs to be outboard of the return line.

20211104_OilFeedProgress1.jpg

A couple of bend session using the 12mm shaft holder and the feed line path is closer to my needs. The KS split cover top section is now accessible
20211106_OilFeedProgress2.jpg

Here is how my pieces sized for this oil feed line. Just received my A44AS today and it measures 12.12mm on the end to be inserted in the hose A65.
My herringbone hose A65 is larger than 3/8" by a 1/16", new hose I have had for couple years. Back when new herringbone hose was common.

20211106_OilFeedPieces1.jpg

Assembled oil feed line using 10½" of hose , 2 ferrules, heat, grunt force.

20211106_OilFeedAssembled1.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If it was me I would just leave enough steel pipe to slip a rubber pipe on and send it all the way up,
That's what I have done with my comet return pipe,
That metal pipe is always a pain,
Anybody come up with a reason not to ?.
Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_083021 (4).jpg
    IMG_20190804_083021 (4).jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 19

craig

VOC Member
Thanks, a rubber oil feed and return line all the way would make it an easier install, but it fails to keep the classic good looks of a twin.
1952BrochureBlackShadow.jpg

Not sure why a 1952 model would still sport a B RFM and black spring box lowers.
You get the idea.