B/C Dualseat Base - Original Finish

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know what the original finish was on the external face of the B/C plywood dualseat base?
Was it painted black, or clear gloss varnished, or what? KTB says it was left bare:eek:, can anyone substantiate that claim?

Peter B
Bristol, UK
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame.

Albervin

VOC Member
Peter, I had a look at mine which has an original Feridax cover and tool tray. No guarantee that it was not refurbished many years ago but the wood is painted black. Not gloss and you can still see and feel the wood grain through it. Of course the black could be due to 60 years of road grime, oil and petrol. Only real test would be to remove the metal work and I aint doing that.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I thought this might be interesting. Here is what some previous owner did to reinforce the hardware on the B seat. Kind of ugly and heavy, but I am not changing it. Also, a 1952 seat foam that has been attacked by a bread knife to make it thinner. I think the seats look better when thin, but comfort comes first.

Ron
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

highbury731

VOC Member
Peter, I had a look at mine which has an original Feridax cover and tool tray. No guarantee that it was not refurbished many years ago but the wood is painted black. Not gloss and you can still see and feel the wood grain through it. Of course the black could be due to 60 years of road grime, oil and petrol. Only real test would be to remove the metal work and I aint doing that.

My seat was last used in 1960, and the finishes are probably original. The wood base is thinly painted black, and you can see the grain through it. Apart from feeling a bit crunchy, you could probably use it as is.