E: Engine Axle part number help

Bradley Burt

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
How long are FT33 (Pivot Bearing Spindle) and H25/5ASS (Series D rear axle)? I'm after two axles which are 11" (280 mm) long and have a diameter of 1/2". They should have 7/8" of thread on one end and 1" of thread on the other (1/2" BSF Thread). I have an example axle here which was bought a few years ago but unsure of its part number. It may possibly be either FT33 or H25/5ASS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Looking at the Series D Parts List, FT 33/2 is the Lower Pivot, Rear Frame and H 25/5AS is the solid axle assy, rear, I have no idea what the dimensions should be.

Bradley Burt

Non-VOC Member
Looking at the Series D Parts List, FT 33/2 is the Lower Pivot, Rear Frame and H 25/5AS is the solid axle assy, rear, I have no idea what the dimensions should be.
Yes. This is for a non-standard project so it isn't as simple as using the 'correct' part. I know the dimensions of what I need. I'm just uncertain of its part number. No parts books/diagrams that I can find show any dimensions of Vincent spindles or axles.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
FT33 I have is 11 7/8" overall. I don't know about "D" parts, but the "AS" bit of the part number indicates an assembly, i.e. it is either a shaft with a nut permanently affixed to it, some times by brazing, or nowadays perhaps a long bolt. If you do a bit of guesswork, the inner faces of the rear axle should be 8 3/8" apart. Add about 5/8" for the width of the fork ends and the heavy washer not shown on the Parts List then about 1/2" or so for the thread through the lipped nut and you get about 9 1/2" under the head.

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
The two part numbers H25/5AS and H25/6AS are Series D axle numbers for the front and rear solid axles respectively (without Tommy bars). I have the Maughan part H25/5AS for the rear axle as 10.25" for the underhead length. The nut that is locked in place is 1/2" wide.

David

Last edited: