Auction Results

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A certain Chief Development Engineer once lived in Cromer Mill, Cromer, Herts. It was from there that he flogged me a twin cylinder Amanda engine for £8, assuring me that it was perfect as an 'in board' for the Norfolk (USA) Sharpie, a gaff rigged sloop, that I had built. I was 14 at the time and it wasn't. Still who else can claim to have bought an unused twin cylinder Vincent for £8 and at the tender age of fourteen?
Hugo, that is one thing you can say about Ted; he was never fussy about who supplied the readies.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
the victor (rep) at Ted Davis home was the ex Pip Harper bike Furness& searle did a lot of work for Ted there works were only 8 miles from Teds Home when they sold there company Norman Peach did work for Ted I think Norman still lives in Stevenage

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
Personally, I do not think any Vincent should have a "Certificate of Authenticity" and I do not think that they are issued any longer. Furthermore, I do not think that the Club authenticates anything, i.e., the Club does not prove that the bike is genuine. Vince and Gordon are very good at what they do, but they are working with old documents that may contain mistakes and may be incomplete. As a result, they are only able to confirm certain numbers when those numbers are consistent with the numbers on the bike. Many times they can tell you where it was shipped. I think that is it. I believe that the information that the Club provides may become one of the building blocks to establish the provenance of a bike, but I do not think it is the end by itself.

Prior to the sale I would have said that both 3A bikes were reasonably well known and documented in MPH as well. I do not think that Ted Davis had anything to do with them. Maybe it is the price that has caused the provenance to degrade?

For the record, I did purchase a bike many years ago that came with a "Certificate of Authenticity." I sent the certificate back to the Registrar as I believed it was inappropriate.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
NOW I am confused it was not Pete Busby who owned the D Comet I saw on Club nights back in the 60's but it was Oxford section and it was a 'D' Comet and it was owned not by Pete but Tom Reeve to check I looked on page 18 of a photographic miscellany by Geoff Preece where it is shown back then and being used properly.
Now the book also states 'The one and only' and its registration number is UNK575 and on checking that bike is still on the DVLA database.
So what about MNR965 from Bonhams sale?.....

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Plenty of Victor transfers at the club shop
Cromer in Norfolk is over 100 miles from Stevenage I cant remember where F&S were but I think I would have remembered Cromer.
I seem to remember that there were 2 Victors one was with Pete Busby from the Oxford Section who emigrated to the IOM back in the 60's

Cromer, Herts. is just outside Stevenage New Town. F&S had a very small workshop on a industrial estate in the village. I believe that Bob Culver still has the sign that was above the door.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
NOW I am confused it was not Pete Busby who owned the D Comet I saw on Club nights back in the 60's but it was Oxford section and it was a 'D' Comet and it was owned not by Pete but Tom Reeve to check I looked on page 18 of a photographic miscellany by Geoff Preece where it is shown back then and being used properly.
Now the book also states 'The one and only' and its registration number is UNK575 and on checking that bike is still on the DVLA database.
So what about MNR965 from Bonhams sale?.....

Tim,
You're mixing up apples and oran..... er, Comet and Victor. The one and only Comet is owned by Tom Reeves' widow's new husband. The one and only Victor is probably headed for a secret collection somewhere. but, I hope not. There were several copies made. One Ted D. had commissioned from Norman P. for the 40/40 that went to Japan within days of that meet.
and that's my story and I'm sticking to it! John;-)

b'knighted

VOC Member
I don't recall a Victor at the 40/40. T.D. was on an enclosed bike with a black screen, but I thought it was a twin. - there was a replica D Comet there.

Alan J

VOC Member
This "Thread" reminds me of Will Shakespeare!-"Oh what a tangled web we weave"-or something like that!

John Cone

VOC Member
Laying in bed reading through past copies of MPH, I came across this article concerning Victors.

sorry upload not readable , will try something else.

Attachments

• img172.jpg
    img172.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: