Are the IKON dampers adjustable like the Konis

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No they are not. The last set I fitted, I had to modify the ends somewhat so they would fit, and they looked like they were assembled by the apprentice. This was a couple of years back mind you, so not sure of there finish, etc now. Cheers Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
IKON make excellent copies of most shock absorbers but..... KONI items were a cut above anything available in the '60s and '70s and IKON cannot seem to be able or
willing to replicate the standards. They did supply me with a very acceptable modification of my KONI and also a very acceptable modern version of a Vincent dampener.
However, both required a couple of re-dos to achieve an acceptable outcome. If the AVO units are proven performers then I will buy one. The alternative is the Thornton
unit.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
Hi this is not a reply, more an extension of the question, I have just replaced the Koni damper which is new old stock bought back in the seventies and never used with an Armstrong item which according to K T B a better option for front damping due to it's shorter stroke, thus reducing the shortening of the wheel base when the s/a is fully extended, THE question is it possible to adjust the Koni to shorten the stroke? if so how ? thanks len.c

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi this is not a reply, more an extension of the question, I have just replaced the Koni damper which is new old stock bought back in the seventies and never used with an Armstrong item which according to K T B a better option for front damping due to it's shorter stroke, thus reducing the shortening of the wheel base when the s/a is fully extended, THE question is it possible to adjust the Koni to shorten the stroke? if so how ? thanks len.c
Would slitting and fitting an additional bump stop rubber around the piston rod serve to do this?
If so you could choose rubbers of varying thickness to get the effect you want.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Eddy, I need to reduce the extended length of the Koni as even on the stand the lower mudguard stay is very close to the mag cowling and by fitting the Armstrong damper the gap is more acceptable, although to be honest i doubt I will be doing much serious braking whilst my wife is pushing it around the garage, thanks len.c

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Eddy, I need to reduce the extended length of the Koni as even on the stand the lower mudguard stay is very close to the mag cowling and by fitting the Armstrong damper the gap is more acceptable, although to be honest i doubt I will be doing much serious braking whilst my wife is pushing it around the garage, thanks len.c
A spacer fitted internally on the piston rod above the piston would reduce the extended travel. I have dismantled a Koni unit. It was reluctant to come apart.

nkt267

VOC Member
I have just replaced the Koni damper which is new old stock bought back in the seventies and never used with an Armstrong item which according to K T B a better option for front damping due to it's shorter stroke, thus reducing the shortening of the wheel base when the s/a is fully extended, THE question is it possible to adjust the Koni to shorten the stroke? if so how ? thanks len.c
Series C or D?? if it is for a Series D you could use the shorter FF57 for the Series C..John

nkt267

VOC Member
I just took a look at my Comet..I reckon you could machine about a 1/4" off the bottom of the FF57's to limit the travel of the forks..John