aerodynamics and steering head for D continued technical

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This quote from timetraveler in the Everything Else forum prompted me to start a new continuation in this more appropriate forum:

"Interesting, that is why this Forum is so useful, feedback. I do have one little worm of disquiet nibbling away at the rear of my brain and I have had it for years without actually getting round to checking it. Vincents changed the design of their steering head about 1953 from a system whereby the fork at the bottom of the steering head, which went round the outside of the front cylinder head bracket, to one which slotted into the centre of the cylinder head bracket. While ever the B/C oil tank design was used this head lug was held by a very strong weldment, the oil tank, and the change seems not to have made any difference. Once the 'D's came along the same head lug design was still used but this time the only addition lateral support that was present was the fork at the front end of the upper tube. Clearly this does not afford much lateral support so it is possible that the fixing of the steering head lug into the front cylinder head bracket can be induced to move more than would have been possible with the original design. I do have an early type steering head bracket and a spare 'D' top tube lying about and one day I hope to get round to milling the old steering head so that it will take the 'D' item and then see if it makes any difference. If anyone else has tried anything similar then feedback on the outcome would be useful. There was a time when some people thought that lateral support for the steering head was a low requirement as there was a general idea that as one could corner with hands off the handlebars the front wheel did not have to turn and that lateral forces on the steering head were minimal. Look at any of the modern superbikes and you will see just how much effort they put into lateral support of their steering heads."

When I was trying to correct my bent UFM in my incorrectly titled thread "Fuel tank misalignment", I was intrigued and inspired by Davidd's contributions and his "roll your own" approach to casting and machining a headstock. While I had the bent headstock out of the oil tank, I had the opportunity to do some measuring of a few critical dimensions using my milling machine quill and a surface plate and height gauge, since one of the options I considered was to make my own headstock. I too thought that the earlier forked type was probably was more rigid for the forks in concept by fitting around the head bracket rather than in it as the slotted bracket type does. Jacqueline Bickerstaff expressed the same opinion in an early MPH article. I think my bent headstock proved that in practice the rest of the headstock malleable casting, at least for the type A one I have, was not up to the task, since the bends I found were in the tubular portions of the early B headstock. I then sat down and conceptualized how I would redesign the headstock if I was to machine one from billet. What I came up with is a hybrid of the two types. It requires the later slotted bracket and new longer spigots, but should theoretically be a lot more rigid, even when done in a strong aluminum alloy. This would be somewhat heavier than a standard headstock in steel, but not in aluminum. The increased material thickness around critical stress areas like the bearing pockets, tank mounts and steering stops, as David did in his design, should be enough to correct the deficiencies other attempts at simply duplicating the standard headstock in alloy did not address.

Pending the results of road testing my corrected UFM, (unfortunately now moved to next spring), I will probably never make one of these, but who knows. It was an interesting CAD exercise, and would be an even more challenging machining job. It would be fun to see if this type of hybrid fork changed the D handling described in the other forum, or stiffened up the UFM/front head coupling of a B/C under racing conditions.

Ron

HS8.jpg

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Ron,
I'm curious what CAD package you used to do your design. The reason I ask is I am employed by Siemens PLM as a dimensional control engineer. I've recently been playing around with our NX software which not only allows for part and assembly design but incorporates the PMI such that it can be transferred to another of our NX modules for tool path generation for CNC machining stations. Now I'm at the point I'm curious who is using what and why.
Steven

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I am mostly retired now and I don't use a corporate level package, too expensive. I have a seat of Alibre and a very old fashioned and obsolete CAD program called Microstation that I use because I learned on it, and it is great for sketching on screen. I also use a unique and interesting software called MultiSurf, originally intended for boat design, but I really like it because it facilitates creativity. All three were used to some extent for the headstock model. If I was to export for CNC it would have to be in IGES, STEP or STL. Most CNC shops would have no problem translating that into tool paths.

Ron

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Ron,
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on the cost factor. The only reason I can play with it is I have a corporate license on my company laptop.
Steven

b'knighted

VOC Member
The D UFM offers little lateral support but theoretically the steering head bracket, and therefore the foks, are held perpendicular to the head bracket. This relys on the head bracket's lower face lying on a plane parallel to the crankshaft. The D UFM then locates the steering head bracket to give the appropriate angle. I have always imagined that Phil Vincent's 1928 experiments with frame geometry would have had something like this but with an adjustable length to alter the head rake.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The spare 'D' FT280AS tube that I have has been modified by the addition of a thread in the centre so that its length can be altered. All I have to do is get round to playing with bikes again!!

b'knighted

VOC Member
You're a braver man than I, Norman. When I lived in Plumstead I knew a guy who worked for Norton on the development of the Commando. His job was to thrash the bike to and fro on the Bovington tank testing tracks, as fast as he could until something broke. That, like adjusting the top tube length, calls for a young, resilient and fast healing rider.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Come on now, who has been saying that I am not young, resilient and fast healing? EEEEKKKK!!!! Seriously, the chap who did this, Barry Chambers from Dewsbury, had a 'D' sidecar outfit and it was his way of altering the trail. I would not expect to make any large changes but small ones might be interesting. Barry had also made a twin leading shoe front brake. The story behind all of this is that many years ago Barry advertised a complete enclosed 'D' less engine and gearbox unit. I bought the whole lot from him and kept the parts in store for years. Some of the bits were 'well used'. Many years later and totally out of the blue Barry phoned up to see if he could buy them back as he had decided to rebuild the whole bike. I still wanted a set of spares in case of some serious accident so a deal was struck wherein Barry and his son acquired replacement bits and pieces from all over the world to exchange for their originals and they got their matching number parts back. No money changed hands and we were all happy. I have checked in the Admin List and there is no 'Chamber' in there so I guess that Barry and his son are either no longer around or no longer into Vincents.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I noticed it too when rebuilded my rap (C) and stiffend the lot an other way, maybe a bit more easy:
got rid of the old nuts and bolts,
made up 2 oversise bushes (+0,03) with a flange and drilled with 8 mm, pressed them in, and put an steel 12.9 bolt and fixed the lot.

don't know if it works though, as the beast threw me off upon hitting a sleeping (fat) policeman at 90KM/H, then again that could have been me at foult, not the bike....

regards

vincent

Oldhaven

VOC Member
don't know if it works though, as the beast threw me off upon hitting a sleeping (fat) policeman at 90KM/H, then again that could have been me at foult, not the bike....

regards

vincent

"This.. really blew my mind" until I figured it out. What a picture to imagine!

When you say you noticed it, do you mean you felt a toggle or movement in the head bracket to headstock lug connection?

Ron