Advertising on our Website…

rapcom

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The most obvious question that comes to my mind is, why?

Graham’s first paragraph admits that the previous attempt at advertising did not go down well with Forum users. What has changed?

If the club needs a greater income, surely we can simply increase the subscription slightly? If an even greater amount is required, perhaps to fund the new premises, then donations can be requested from members, or the club-owned shares in the Spares Company could be sold to members. Why do we need more income?

How much income will the advertising bring to the club?

As Ed remarks in post #6, “I find them annoying on sites that do show ads”, as does Graham himself in post #4. Me too. Do we want to annoy Forum visitors and show the club in a poor light?

The Google “AdSense” own website admits that their system is for “targeted” ads, which means that personal information will be harvested from site visitors, cookies will be left on their computers, personal data will be saved by Google, and probably sold to, and used by, third parties. (Cambridge Analytica is a recent example of this immoral practice).

I do not claim to be computer-literate, far from it, but I am deeply suspicious of any involvement with Google when not necessary, and Graham has not shown any valid reason to do so. Purely because we can, is not a reason.

I repeat my original question, why?

(Nothing personal, Graham!)

G

Graham Smith

We don't 'have' to, but the whole infrastructure is currently paid for out of yours and my subs.

Anyone that you see in red who logs on every day is using our facility for nothing (there are a number of them). I just thought it'd be a good way of getting some money in from visitors and non-Members.

At this stage I haven't got a clue how much money it'll make us, but if after a year it makes us say £100, for no inconvenience to any Club Member, then I'd say we'd be fools not to take it.

The forum isn't expensive to run, but there is a cost. There's the 'core' software for which you pay a license fee every year, so you can access all the updates. There's the 'hosting fee' which is a few hundred pounds that's payable every three years, plus a few enhancements that we have such as the calendar that Peter Appleton uses, plus some other bits and bobs that make my life easier in the 'back end' of the software.

Ultimately, it all costs money, and I figured the ads would contribute to the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
With all their cleverness I rarely see an ad on the net that applies to me and if I do I 'unsubscribe'.
My TV has a hard drive and apart from the TT or the news I watch nothing live and can dash through the advert breaks in seconds,
All in all evil bay is about the nearest I get to targeted adverts and then today they think I want a mobile phone pushbikes and shorts nobody told them I cant get a signal at home , I swore I never ride another push bike when I got to 16 and I gave up short trousers when I went to big school...

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I think it is an excellent way to pay for this source information/idea exchange/entertainment. I appreciate that my subscription fee to belong to this club helps to pay for this forum and MPH. Inflation like death and taxes, is unavoidable and I accept that at some point in time the cost of my subscription will go up, but if it can be postponed by this means I'm in favor of it. Not to long ago there was an outcry when it was discovered that some individuals who were members of some sections were not in fact members of the VOC. The fires of outrage were further fueled when it was learned that actual VOC members of these sections were passing around their copies of MPH or "gasp" making photo copies and distributing them. Being a non-VOC member on this forum is a kin to belonging to a section but not to the VOC. They reap the benefit of access to a large body of experience and information, which is willing given and I will admit probably provide back just much as well, but do not bear the financial burden of keeping things going. So if non-VOC individual wises to participate in this forum I believe they should either put up some cash to help fund this forum either in the form of joining the VOC or tolerate the annoying advertisements.
Hell, I admit that there are two forums, one bike and one car, that I lurk on and put up with the annoying advertisements for information The info I gleaned from them was worth it.
Steven

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Graham, the advertising for VOC members has gone seriously pear shaped. I will not be able to visit this site during working hours.

Cheers

Dave

G

Graham Smith

Yep - it was only in test mode yesterday, but all seems fine, so I've switched the ads off for Club members and they're only viewable to Non Members now.

It's only an experiment, so if it doesn't generate much for the Club, we may have to question whether it's worth it, but you never know.