ET: Engine (Twin) 32 MM Amal TT jetting

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I´d love the Coffman starter !! But then , I´d get all sorts of biiig troubles here with authorities about the cartridges .
Is it really a good idea with the 2" pipes on basically 500 cc cylinders ? The exhaust gases will be slower than with smaller pipes and I don´t think you´d find 2 " pipes on other 500 cc racers ?? For some silencing you´ll need a decent silencer, a gizmo shoved up the pipe will ruin the performance.

Vic
You’re trying to apply logic to this situation and that is basically fruitless. I’m trying to make ( as close as possible) a copy of the Lightning. The small light gizmos would allow me to sneak past the local constabulary.

There was what seemed to be a complete Coffman starter on EBay in Florida. It was reasonably priced compared to others that were only half there. Too big and heavy. I have a complete running GL500 engine sitting under the bench and I’d love to build that type of starter for it… in spite of the fact that it’s an extremely dumb idea and I have no time.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Sorry Ken, I forgot you are doing a Twin, Thought you was talking about your Comet Special,
I agree the smaller Ex pipes are louder, Sharper !,
I loved my 2" pipes, But the ground clearance was not enough,
I am not good on the corners, I laid the bike over in the garden and thought
There was no way they would touch, But first bend , First race, Donington Park And they touched !.
And also the kick start is tricky with 2" pipes, Although I did a job on the Kicker !!.

One of the lads runs air filters , Don't know if that would make it richer ?.
Cheers Bill.
I have all of the left hand kickstart stuff. Not that it works with the Lightning rearsets. At the rate I’m progressing it’ll need the electric leg anyway.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I had a long 1 3/4 pipe on my TTR, would hit about 4200 and just complain loudly, like a manx before it gets on the maga. Swapped it out for a 34" long X 2in pipe and the things just absolutely came alive. First time I cracked the throttle it ran way past 6000 before I could grab another gear......