2011 Nordkapp in 1950 Vincent Comet.

fornblau

Forum User
Non-VOC Member

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Congratulations fornblau. That is a really good trip and the bike looks to be in excellent condition. Not a trace of oil under it whenever it is parked. Also a very nice selection of photographs. Well done.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
That is a serious test of rider and machine, approx 329 miles a day for 17 days! Great looking Comet and really nice photo's.

Howard

VOC Member
I'm jealous. Looks like fun.

I have to say, there's no way I'd ride in Europe without indicators, but they'd spoil the looks of the Comet.

H

b'knighted

VOC Member
Spanish - detected to English translation by Google Translate
I like this forum!

Girona

Nordkapp 2011 in classic bike alone.
Yesterday at 19:41
Multimedia visualization and links are only visible to registered users. Need Login or Register

Hello.
I make a short summary of my trip to North Cape and 2011 in classic bike alone.
17 days and 9,000 miles
This is a copy of the summary of my local friends forum bikers.
A greeting.

Continuanción is my unsuccessful attempt in 2008.

Multimedia visualization and links are only visible to registered users. Need Login or Register

Monday May 16

--- Girona Dommartin Cuiseaux them (F) 649 Kms

The trip started at 4.30 am, the nerves would not let me sleep, so why waste time!
Stage to forget, my cruising speed was too low 80/90 km / h, low speed to keep the mechanics.
What I meant to use 12 hours to complete this distance.
After the Spanish border and a strong north wind took me over 100 miles was easy to fall.
I arrived at 16.15 at the Etap hotel in Dommartin (hotel on the same highway), I was knackered I hurt everywhere.
The perfect time.
I hope tomorrow is better route.

Tuesday May 17

Dommartin Cuiseaux them --- Frankfurt (A) 577 km

With the bad experience the previous day, I do not want breakfast (served at 6.30 am) and start the path to 5.30 h.
During the night I was reconsidering my excessive caution not to push too mechanics.
I choose to do the logical, cruises 95/105 km / h
Perfect stage and a lovely day.
Near the French border with Germany in a service station where I stopped to stretch my legs, I saw five Citroën DS4, I guess they were journalists who tested the car.
They came to see the bike and I was surprised by the destination of this trip.
German motorways as always under construction, some endless caravans and people do not complain, hope alone.
Road works in two lanes (four lanes when there is no work) the speed limit to 80 km / h. the trucks were going at that speed so that everyone runs behind the trucks,
Leaving the empty left lane, because I'm not German and nor so civilized as them, I just ahead of everybody.
On this occasion I have not seen any stretch of free speed.
Approximately 80 km before reaching the hotel the sky begins to cover fall four drops but nothing else, I get to the Ibis hotel at 15.15 h.
None of landscapes within the highway is not practically nothing but factories.

Wednesday May 18

Frankfurt --- Lubeck (A) 558 km

At 6.30 am on time in the cafeteria for breakfast, but before they had reached a group of Japanese and three Hindu marriages.
At 7.15 am and had breakfast, loaded the bike and ready to go.
As there is no way out of the garage, the machine swallowed my card but does not raise the barrier.
I say to the girl in reception and gives me another card, that does not work.
The girl gets angry, I get angry more than the gear for the bike start to sweat to go up and down.
Finally I understand (my english is very bad) and opens the barrier from reception (which could be done from the beginning).
Well, Lubeck waiting for me, a fantastic day, the highways are still in their works.
It is a fact that the Germans are much on the highways.
In a couple of tracks not limited to about three cars passed me that if there were only 300 km / h. some were missing.
I always go by rail from the right, from time to time going to the left to pass but the third and fourth, or mad I get there.
At 16.15 I get to Hotel Ibis Lubeck.
A splendid day and a good route.

Thursday May 19

--- Lubeck Varnamo (S) 530 Kms

After breakfast, packed up and ready biker I started from Lubeck at 7.15 Puttgarden address.
When I put me in row No. 1, which is of motorists (though I was alone), without trying to stop the motor drive up to ferry me (this is really reaching and clothe the saint).
In the midst of the journey I see the sky begins to cover and decided to protect the waterproof bags.
Once at port, I address to Malmo, Denmark go through, I continued falling water droplets.
Malmo across the bridge starts to rain with more intensity, but not reaching the 15 minutes.
I arrive at 15.15 Varnamo a Bred and Breakfast in an idyllic landscape.
One day quite well and most importantly, I'm in Scandinavia and with my little Vincent.

Friday May 20

--- Varnamo Gavle (S) 558 Kms

Like me I had to prepare the breakfast (well, heat it was ready for "tapers"), at 4.30 sentadito was already on the table and eating.
At 6 with the bike loaded and ready to go.
As night temperatures fell lot, 4 or 5 degrees negative.
Started the engine with great concern if not circulating oil (15W40 wears a) that I supports up to 10 ° positive. (It was a mistake to take this type of oil)
Begin the piston pulled the oil filler cap and not running, I hope and still move (I'm starting to get nervous) and after 2 minutes starts out a little oil, bran!
I arrive at the Hotel Gavle at 15.25, is a hotel with Mediterranean atmosphere, not bad.
A perfect day.

Saturday May 21

--- Gavle Umea (S) 474 Kms

Route begins at 7 am, without breakfast that Saturday will not be served until 8.00.
When I stop to refuel, buy a bottle of water and a couple of sandwiches that were very good.
In the first area of ​​service that I see I stand and scoff the two snacks were really good.
A splendid day.
I'm not calling the wrong time, but I have not had any rain rainy day.
OK I have reached the Hotel at 15.00, the OK Hotel belongs to one of the great Swedish petrol station chain OK Q8.
The tiredness is beginning to be felt, the suspension of my bike is not very comfortable, yet happy that peak ...

Sunday May 22

--- Umeå Kolari (F) 501 Kms

Weekend when the serve breakfast at 7.30, as yesterday and decided to eat on the road.
The hotel tells me that if I want I can leave in the refrigerator a couple of sandwiches and orange juice, perfect!.
At 6.00 am already heated engines, Finland awaits me.
Instead of continuing to climb to Haparanda Kolari (normal route through the E4).
I detoured into Toré Pujala address and Kolari, this local road (392) is a poor asphalt but also save an hour and walk through beautiful villages.
On this road many riders passed me, I guess that used to make curves, but with that road, I do not know, I know ...
Passing through these villages on Sunday, was full of kids playing both sides of the road.
As the bike can hear from far away, the children greeted me in passing, I felt like that make Kings in the cavalcade of Christmas.
By the way, I find the signal that tells me that I'm going through the line of the Arctic Circle, yepa! yepa!, I'm coming.
I received my first reindeer, a male that passes me and keeps eating and the female when she sees a picture you wish to leave.
Usually this happens with me and females, when I approach them, they leave and when they pass close to me, I see ... Sad
I arrive at the small Hotel Kolari to 14.00 15.00 are the Spanish (the Finns have one hour more).
I'm ready, tomorrow I'll be in Norway and conquer NORDKAPP past that nerves .....
I'm really enjoying the trip.

Monday May 23

--- Kolari Olderfjord (N) 468 Kms

At 7.00 am and was in the breakfast room.
At 7.30 am prepared to "invade" Norway.
While I'm starting to clog up the sky, but is holding out.
Once across the border Norway becomes complicated thing and decided to put the bags in waterproof bags.
Not take long to start raining and throughout the route.
Lots of water and cold (there is still snow last winter).
Once past High plus adds rain and cold fog, the driving is very difficult.
Finally I stop at Olderfjord (in a roadside hotel) to 14.00, I am not able to reach Skarsvåg.
Once inside the room and very warm, it starts to hang all the clothes to dry.
Via Internet Check the weather that gives me bad news is that rain and heavy on all of Honninsvag and Nordkapp, taking
A little respite to the 12.00 pm today.
I go to bed at 16.00.
The disaster textile bags, is the first time I use them in rain, always use the fiber.
Even covering them with waterproof, the interior gets wet, I'll stop in a supermarket and buy plastic bags to wrap the clothes, not use the bags over textiles
The bag of tools if it is completely waterproof, recently I bought the saddle for years that I have but never used in rain.
Let's see how "attacked" Nordkapp.

Tuesday May 24

--- Olderfjord Nordkapp (N) --- Kautokeino (N) --- + 128 km 128 km 367 km ---

At 10.30 pm (do not forget that at this latitude the sun does not set at this time of year) look out the window and I seem to see that the ceasefire has come forward.
All is calm, I decided to try my luck and I only took the bag of tools, I leave luggage at the hotel.
The perfect path, not a drop on the way up to the entrance of Nordkapp to 12.30 in the night, I get the photos with the sign that says Nordkapp.
It was a terrible wind and I could not stand to use the photos, I have to do with camera in hand, the rain starts again.
I decide not to go downtown, pay 30 € to be locked up.
Total, strong wind, overcast, rain important, obviously could not see the sun I can not lose anything in the middle.
I decide to return to the hotel, the objective is already met, to reach the small Northern Cape Vincent in 1950. 128 miles round them back to the hotel.
On the road back to the hotel the rain was very strong, sometimes had to slow down because I could see nothing.
And on top of reindeer, for a rare law that does not understand, when I meet the right reindeer cross at the left and when
The meetings left cross to the right, this a mystery.
And the bike does not stop a current bike, you have to start reining in advance.
Another house that are dangerous I also grated on the pavement there, I guess because of the "bucket" of snow removal.
Is very noticeable with narrow tires of the classic bike.
Finally came back to the hotel at 4.30 am, wet but happy.
Again hang clothes to dry and warm sleep.
At 9.00 am I go towards Kautokeino (239 kilometers), the sky is very clogged but not a drop of rain, but there remains the cold and fog.
I get to the hotel to the 14.00 pm.
The hotel, a father and daughter are very kind, I ask you a bucket and some soap to clean the bike that poor little embarrassed.
For the day tomorrow, weather says rain, we'll see!

Wednesday May 25

--- Kautokeino Luleå (S) 472 Kms

After breakfast, at 7.30 am on my path.
The sky very clogged, threatening rain. Just four drops, but very cold because the sun does not looked at any time.
Quiet path, to get to Luleå and before going to the hotel, fill the gas tank.
At the gas station near me a Swede who had lived years ago in Barcelona.
After fixing a little world, I turn to the hotel.
I get to the hotel at 15.30 pm.

Thursday, May 26

--- Lulea Sundsvall (S) 523 Kms

As usual after breakfast and loaded the bike, at 7.30 to march towards Sundsvall.
Day similar to the previous rain-threatening sky, the sun almost was not seen, so the atmosphere was cold.
Only league rains and drying clothes sanity shortly thereafter.
Sundsvall came to 15.15.
For tomorrow, severe storm forecast, we see ...!! Because meteorologists here has not succeeded (no longer a chance for me)

Friday May 27

--- Nykoping Sundsvall (S) 476 Kms

By God, how much water, nearly 500 miles without the rain stop.
Throughout the night it was raining, I thought that would be it, but no!.
At 7.00 o'clock for breakfast and then loaded the suitcases and road.
Since the beginning of the route, at 7.45 it was raining heavily.
Just after 15.00 pm I arrived at the Hotel Ibis Nykoping.
Once in the room, I started to hang all the clothes and put the gloves to dry.
I have days without seeing the sun
Tomorrow do not think I see possibly last start and good weather.

Saturday, May 28

--- Malmo Nykoping (S) 515 Kms

In this hotel breakfast is from 4.00 to 10.00 am.
At 4.15, I was in the breakfast room.
I left at 7.15 am on the road today.
Overcast sky not leave me the whole way.
Just four drops, but very cold.
I think I will leave Sweden without seeing the sun
Just after 15.15 pm arrived at the Ibis Hotel Malmo.
I look forward to the Barca game.
Morning across Denmark, take the ferry and spend the first night in Germany.

Sunday May 29

--- Malmo Hannover (A) 515 km

Like Day yesterday.
Cloudy most of the route, with some storms.
Breakfast at 6.30 and start the path towards 7.00.
I leave the hotel to Malmo Oresund bridge to get to Denmark.
Then go through all of Denmark to Rodby to catch the ferry to Puttgarden, so far most of the rain.
As I go deeper into Germany, the time seems to get better.
Until I get to the hotel in Hannover (1545 hours) with a splendid sun
After unloading the bags, I quickly connect to the internet to know that Alonso did.
Which by the way Barca already has the fourth.

Monday May 30

--- Hannover Karlsruhe (A) 476 km

Germany go through just after 7.00 am.
A very hot day, riding all over me.
The caravans on German highways are endless.
I came to the 3.00 pm at Hotel Ibis in Karlsruhe.
Psyched that tomorrow has to be a wet day.

Tuesday May 31

Karlsruhe --- Lyon (F) 564 Kms

Horrible, terrible rain, it looked almost nothing.
Shortly after entering the rain in France did not leave me until the Etap Lyon.
I got to the hotel soaking wet.
For tomorrow the forecast is not much worse than today.

Wednesday June 1

--- Lyon 523 km Albons

Around 2.15 am I wake up, look out the window and see that while the sky is covered, it is seen that the soil is
Fairly dry, so I conclude that it does not rain for hours.
Well over the bike and without thinking twice I head home.
The play I get well, not a single drop of water but very cold.
Around 8.30 am I get home, ending the adventure.

This trip can be addressed in many ways, I've wanted to do so.

To see photos from the trip visit:

Multimedia visualization and links are only visible to registered users. Need

Howard

VOC Member
Spoilsport !!!!!!!!!! I was enjoying translating that using my 50 year old schoolboy Spanish. Mind you I wasn't sure what the donkey was doing in the French underground :)

H

Alan J

VOC Member
Myself and J.B. would love to do that trip before we both fall of our perches! But we would have to do it the hard way-on her ancient H.R.D. and my '28 B.S.A!