H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel bearings.

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yeah, Bruce, I know what you mean, had to have a 230 mm Ceriani 4 ls on the R 69 S after a certain encounter of a number of cattle on a nice road coming around a hill at 100 mph when racing home for weekend from Bundeswehr .
The first historic photo from late seventies shows the standard brakes with cast iron center riveted to the alu hub, an air scoop fitted after the cattle encouter. The next photo is present state since many years.
But my point is how much of heat can reach down to the bearings for being essential for bearing clearances ?

Vic

P1050366.JPG

P1040061.JPG

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am seriously contemplating getting rid of my Vincents, they seem to have so many lamentable faults built in from new, I think I have taken risks for long enough, 55 years years in fact, I now discover that the hubs and wheel bearings are not fit for purpose, God have I been lucky!
Peter, in the process of rebuilding my Shadow I discovered the rear hub was badly split with an alloy sleeve shrunk over plus the front hub had been shortened with some strange skinny bearings fitted. These bikes will just keep going! I now understand how the Argies ket their Vincents running with the most brutal engineering solutions.