E: Engine Unsteady Idle

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And the state of the springs that bring the bob weights back to full retard at the idle is ?

We had some new springs wound but found them to be too strong. You could feel a definite sudden advance well up into the rev range. I stretched them and bit and that worked better. I also acquired a pile of spares co springs and all were somewhat better than the clappped out ones on that particular ATD.

You can change them through the inspection cover if required, just thread a string through the middle of the spring with both end outside the timing chest in case you drop the spring!

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
And the state of the springs that bring the bob weights back to full retard at the idle is ?

We had some new springs wound but found them to be too strong. You could feel a definite sudden advance well up into the rev range. I stretched them and bit and that worked better. I also acquired a pile of spares co springs and all were somewhat better than the clappped out ones on that particular ATD.

You can change them through the inspection cover if required, just thread a string through the middle of the spring with both end outside the timing chest in case you drop the spring!
On inspection I estimate around 10% preload at rest. I have noted though different bob weights have the spring post and bob weight pivot at slightly different centres, so on one bob weight the spring will seem fine, but on a different bob weight it will be too slack, ie no preload.

greg brillus

VOC Member
From memory (whatever that is) most advance units that use some form of counter weight and spring, tend to be different to each other.........One will shift more easily than the other........Well that was my observation from years of working on distributors in car engines.

oexing

VOC Member
Many ATDs have two different springs, one rather weak spring for very low engine speed from idle. The other spring is a lot stronger with some slack at idle. So this cares for higher revs. Don´t know about the Lucas type but is it a good idea for looking for two types of springs ?

Vic

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Many ATDs have two different springs, one rather weak spring for very low engine speed from idle. The other spring is a lot stronger with some slack at idle. So this cares for higher revs. Don´t know about the Lucas type but is it a good idea for looking for two types of springs ?

Vic
Vic
I would rephrase that to "many modern ATD's". I have always suspected the original Lucas magneto ATD is more of a switch and just bangs from fully retarded to fully advanced in one go and not a gradual advance.

oexing

VOC Member
But then I´d want to have it more gradual - as was found on many classiscs, at least on most bikes - and cars - on the continent. I´d go for full advance not before 3500 rpm, this simply a matter of decent springs, no rocket science.

Vic

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Vic
I would rephrase that to "many modern ATD's". I have always suspected the original Lucas magneto ATD is more of a switch and just bangs from fully retarded to fully advanced in one go and not a gradual advance.
That was my observation of the Lucas unit. I have attempted to slow down the rate of advance by reducing some weight from the 'free' end of the bob weights. Also results in full advance being achieved at higher revs. Picture is before and after.

ATD Weights.jpg

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Interesting paper from BrightSpark magnetos regarding ATD performance

Attachments

• How critical is the spring rate and spring preload in an ATD.pdf
    156.7 KB · Views: 41