Company Address
Unit 1, Parkfield Units, Barton Hill Way, Torquay TQ2 8JG
Company Telephone
01803 328 603
Company Website
www.tracytools.com
Company e-mail
info@tracytools.com
You just got to applaud them! Down in the bottom left had corner of the UK everyone striking, order early afternoon yesterday by email
delivered 1.pm today rural Bedfordshire 15 miles from PO depot

(A 3/8" UNF tap is not my normal thread but needs must)

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
UNF and UNC are quite easy to get - still, at Ebay too. Taps look allright in photos but I see a substantial problem once you need the die for cutting new threads. They look horrible so I have refrained from buying anything like these for decades and go all metric as far as I can. Same goes even more for British standards as these are outdated for longer times while UNF is still active in some remote colonies. All you get in BSF and the like is substandard backyard production of taps and more so dies and screws fabricated by retired mechanics in sheds from hexagon bar. So in this respect practicality in obsolete fasteners is non-existent today - if it was ever . . . .

Vic

oexing

VOC Member
Peter, when did you get new Dormer taps - in recent times ?? As I said, taps are not the biggest problem, you can get British or UNF types from Aliexpress as well. But dies , thanks, but no, thanks by the looks. I do most fasteners in stainless, with those dies - unlikely. Even for metric thread dies you have to look very closely for checking good qualities when you do stainless jobs. Yes, dies are not cheaply to produce in decent finish so be cautious when buying. Seems good tools like here get more difficult to find in recent times.

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Peter, when did you get new Dormer taps - in recent times ?? As I said, taps are not the biggest problem, you can get British or UNF types from Aliexpress as well. But dies , thanks, but no, thanks by the looks. I do most fasteners in stainless, with those dies - unlikely. Even for metric thread dies you have to look very closely for checking good qualities when you do stainless jobs. Yes, dies are not cheaply to produce in decent finish so be cautious when buying. Seems good tools like here get more difficult to find in recent times.

Vic
Yes, very recently, when I purchased a steering damper kit from Norman Walker, I needed a couple of taps to tap the underside of the headstock casting, of course I purchased Dormer taps as I have always found them to be of excellent quality, and readily available from various outlets in the UK, as a starting point take a look at Ebay, some very good engineering suppliers use Ebay to advertise their businesses.

LoneStar

VOC Member
All you get in BSF and the like is substandard backyard production of taps and more so dies and screws fabricated by retired mechanics in sheds from hexagon bar.

Vic,

Are you saying the HSS taps and dies sold by Tracy Tools fall under this description? If you haven't purchased any with British thread form for decades, how do you know this?

Status
Not open for further replies.