Misc: Stands Series ‘D’ Centre Stand/Comet

Deroberson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just checking the brain trust to see if anyone has any experience fitting a D center stand with lifting handle to a Comet.

In theory, seems like it should work. I have the stand and just laying it under the Comet, I know some plates have to change, some foot rest spacers, longer rod for foot rest. I have the plates for a twin appropriate for the stand, just seems like there has to be more to it than a bolt up.

Thanks
Dave

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have access to a D comet (not original) I could take some pictures if you like but it is a real D copy not a C

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Morning Tim my handsome, while you are doing the gentlemanly thing helping another member could you show in the photo what generator it has please as I about to order an electric starter and an Alton if necessary,thank you very much.
bananaman.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Just checking the brain trust to see if anyone has any experience fitting a D center stand with lifting handle to a Comet.

In theory, seems like it should work. I have the stand and just laying it under the Comet, I know some plates have to change, some foot rest spacers, longer rod for foot rest. I have the plates for a twin appropriate for the stand, just seems like there has to be more to it than a bolt up.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

I had a D-type centre stand fitted to my C Comet for many years. It was made up and fitted for me by Furness & Searle. For those who might not know Furness and Searle were two ex-Vincent employees who ran a business near Stevenage repairing and rebuilding Vincents. They also made one for my C Rapide. On the Rapide it was a delight to use, just a two fingered job. The one on the Comet was not quite so satisfactory. It required a hefty pull and the lifting handle was too close to the tank for a good grip. For some reason the geometry of the stand was not as good as that on the Rapide. I think the lifting handle was of necessity too short for good leverage. The whole assembly was quite complicated. It required two pillion plates very different from the standard ones plus an additional smaller plate. All this meant the pillion plates were spaced out quite a lot. In fact there were a lot of spacers required. The exhaust pipe and silencer had to be spaced out. The front footrest hanger bolt had to be the D-type F48/2 as was the pivot bearing spindle FT 33/2 also the gearbox lower bolt F48/6 had to be extra long. The left hand front footrest spacer was the D-type F51/8 but seemed to require some extra machining as I recall. The link was unique to the Comet. In all it was quite an involved process. The only part utilising the D stand was the centre stand assembly itself FT 13/3AS . Curiously the D stand on Peter Holmes replica D Comet works extremely well but that is a very different kettle of fish.

Hugo

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Dave, Have you seen the Dave Hills stand, Bit like a "D" without a handle,
They work very easy if the stand is the right height,
You can cut a bit off or weld a bit on The legs, They have a bit of rod you stand on to help,
Get on the stand.
Cheers Bill.

Deroberson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The goal here is to make it easier for my better half, 5'4", 120#, to wrestle, start and park the bike.

She can start the bike no problem, find TDC, get is just past and kick and crank.....all on the rear stand, I know this is not preferred. Also, parking the bike, it is cumbersome for her to get it on the rear stand, risky actually.

I need a stout proper side stand for parking or a center stand for parking and starting.

I have a twin D, and the ease of parking with the lifting handle and cranking on the stand if needed is a breeze. That was my idea for the Comet. I have seen many of Dave Hills center stands and I have this extra D center that I was thinking of using.

Thanks for the replies!