F: Frame Seat Dampers

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With that type of bearings there is ALWAYS the trouble of keeping out water or dirt. Most bearings die due to corrosion or dirt, not from overload. For a not very critical place I´d go for some low wearing plastic material. A little bit of friction in there is of no consequence, even with a hydraulic damper - which in almost all type has a LOT of friction anyway so no factor with that tiny amount of friction from modern plastics.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
With that type of bearings there is ALWAYS the trouble of keeping out water or dirt. Most bearings die due to corrosion or dirt, not from overload. For a not very critical place I´d go for some low wearing plastic material. A little bit of friction in there is of no consequence, even with a hydraulic damper - which in almost all type has a LOT of friction anyway so no factor with that tiny amount of friction from modern plastics.

Vic
I agree I sometimes think I am the only one who mourned the end of the Friction free Nylon FF6 bushes I thought they were a great improvement -the first batches were great I think somehow perhaps the last batch was in the wrong material ( thats the problem with clever plastic its difficult to quality test the finished item ) and then it was a case of give a dog a bad name...
Someone should try again, Another 20 years of plastic development says it would be worth it

timetraveller

VOC Member
Not hard to try for those who like to experiment. The firm Igus, whose products Vic recommends, as do I, provide materials just right for that job. They have an agent in the UK for those who like to deal at home.

highbury731

VOC Member
I think that the Thornton is specced for a sprung saddle, so it will be too hard in springing and damping if you keep the semi-sprung standard arrangement.
Paul
As I will use the already damped Thornton coil over suspensions, I had some Teflon bushes turned by my local machine shop to be used instead of the friction material.

They made them a tight fit on the stay and free on the internal small plates diameter, but I asked them to turn the outside a bit more, and now they slide on both side but still a snug fit.

Not sure which exact kind of Teflon they used.
Eddie
View attachment 41259

oexing

VOC Member
As to Igus plastics, they have sales managers in UK certainly. When looking into Ebay UK their sellers there charge quite a lot for standard bushes so one may like to order from Igus Germany directly. Shipping costs should not be a lot from this side. I had a number of standard bushes from them - in the end I made about all from rounds to the sizes I measured up, easy on the lathe with simple sharp HSS tool bits. Prices for rounds are amazingly low so got a selection of sizes for all sorts of jobs. Below a link to rounds of type J that I´d choose for our uses, you could ask UK sales for their offers - if they do rounds at all.
Certainly there are lots of companies offering dry bearing bushes but I cannot tell what´s practical in your area.

Vic
IGUS rounds