This is what Vincent Brake/Speet did,

Attachments

• DSC00987.JPG
    DSC00987.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 82

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
This is what I did, in 1988 when using the bike with Christine touring in France. I went from standard to full suspension in 1967 TT week but reverted back to standard 1970. I took the seat struts with me in 88 and after a weeks touring with friends and returning to their farm with a days terrible riding along the Dordogne. Christine was complaining so fitted the struts and she never complained again. In 95 NZ Rally my hydraulic damper failed in North island and managed to buy a Koni and fitted it in the cattle market prior to John Britten giving us his interesting talk. So I used my friction dampers that stopped us bobbing up & down as if riding a Po Go stick.
Don't like to deviate too far from standard.

Attachments

• P1070364.jpg
    P1070364.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 57

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Marcus, not in anyway wanting to offend, but would it not be easier just to carry a spare Koni shock absorber and then do away with all the additional ironmongery, but I guess from your point of view it would be less challenging and interesting, I don't think having the friction dampers fighting with a fully functioning shock absorber would enhance the comfort or the handling.

Last edited:

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
linear response to movement
Is that right Ken? I think that is only when it has started moving. It is the 'sticktion' before movement which tends to spoil things. PTFE is available with an abraded and acid etched face on one side so that adhesives can be applied. That would be my choice if I was to go down this route.
You are correct the sticktion only sets in when the seat stays move. I think you have an assembly problem with thePTFE. When you fit the friction liner you have to wedge the casting open to apply the tape to the surface so you can get the tape to stick and then fit the drums without disturbing the tape, I still think a polymeric ring is better than the tape,. i think this has been discussed before, anyway it would be interesting to try . i always stuck the friction material to the alloy with rapid setting araldite, wedged the casting open and squeezed in the drums and allowed it to harden.Doing things to Vincents is always an interesting exercise what ever you do. However most of my riding was done with a fully sprung rear end and Pettiford springs with a Koni damper , front and rear.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I using a Thornton setup on my BS rebuilt which is not yet finished. on assembly, I just gave the woven tape sort of thing a good massage with grease, even with the adjuster knobs tightened up a little (so I won't loose them) I can still move the seat stays easily. Having said so, this is without load/ sitting on the bike.

Bernie

highbury731

VOC Member
In 95 NZ Rally my hydraulic damper failed in North island and managed to buy a Koni and fitted it in the cattle market prior to John Britten giving us his interesting talk.
Don't like to deviate too far from standard.
You have (or rather your bike does ! ) some interesting deviations....

What did John Britten have to say? It's hard to believe that it's 25 years since then, and 25 years since he died.

BTW a New Zealander says 'the North Island', not 'North Island'

Paul

Spqreddie

VOC Member
As I will use the already damped Thornton coil over suspensions, I had some Teflon bushes turned by my local machine shop to be used instead of the friction material.

They made them a tight fit on the stay and free on the internal small plates diameter, but I asked them to turn the outside a bit more, and now they slide on both side but still a snug fit.

Not sure which exact kind of Teflon they used.
Eddie
Seat Stays.jpeg