Misc: Ignition RITA Ignition + Wiring Diagram

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I can't say a thing bad about the RITA. I had one on the Shadow up until a couple of years ago when I fitted a new BTH that I bought on evilbay at a substantial discount. The reason I swapped is the amount of electricity it uses. The Alton could not keep up on an evening's ride. After about 45 minutes or even if I started out with a fully charged battery the turn signals would quit flashing. I would notice the headlamp dim noticeably at a stop. Which is all very strange as the same time I fitted it to the Shadow I also fitted one to my 500 Triumph. That one does not exhibit the same behavior. In fact on a second Triumph 500 I have I fitted one. It was only when they became unavailable that I started fitting the Boyer units.
that's interesting. I have a similar issue and thought it was due to some form of parasitic leak. I've taken to riding with no daylight headlights.

van drenth

VOC Member
Mine first Vincent Rapide did have one Rita ignition fitted, problem after problem special when the 12V battery went below 11 V , only one cilinder did fire.
Regards,
van Drenth JC

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think we all now know , That we need both a good ignition and good charging,
For years I have had a Mini Car Alternator on my Special,
A Mcdouglator on my L/ning, And a Walkernator ready for my Comet, next time it's in bits,
But I don't want to fit it till I have to.

I think that Red Comet for sale , Still has the Old 6v Dynamo and regulator ?.
So that Bike would need another £700 ish to be spent on it !,
If it could ever be registered for the road ?.

brian gains

VOC Member
EI's seem much of a muchness regarding battery with poor charge, either they won't fire when down to 10.5V - 11v or at best stay in fully retarded mode.
Reading around it seems the RITA ignition draws 3.5 A so hardly any surprise that trying to run lights as well drains the sysyem. the small Kubota alt' just can't keep up.

brian gains

VOC Member
Bill: the set up i have is belt driven off the motor drive sprocket at what appears 1:1 i believe the McDouglator runs from the original generator position? at 1 1/2 motor speed.
I had checked the output previously when trying to isolate charging issue and the kubota appeared up to snuff, however i'll check again.
nb None of this addresses the immediate problem of intermittent electrical fault which i'm slowly working through, frustratingly with no apparent obvious faults and only replacing connections/wiring that could be better.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I might have said it before but when I broke down, Not had Rita long, 2 6v coils,
I was pulling all the wires and the engine went Bang, Lucky I had left the ign' on !.
Or I would never have found the fault !!,
The front coil power lead had a bad connection inside the coil, No damage to the body etc,
I got it started and got about a mile down the road and stopped again, Pulled on that wire,
Got another mile home, Stopped again,
I found I had a spare 12v coil in my bag, Stuck it on and got home OK.
Have you changed the coils ?.

brian gains

VOC Member
No, only checked the wiring. On other machines i've had coil issues but even in those instances the failure was more predictable. The present issue is just random. I'll persevere but have the number for competent auto electrician if all else fails. However, if he is willing to do m/c's and have me around to manage the nuances of starting the machine is another question.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As a long time Mechanic, I was told changing things is a poor way of finding trouble,
But if it's cheap and easy, That is my way !.
We have been told coils can often be trouble, And my fault was just under the main power terminal,
Which I thought was strange, I know it's easy to Pinch the small coils with the clamp,
I think the Norton ones had a rubber ring under the clamp, Which I think is better.